flatter plane & open clubface

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPG

New
I am working on flattening my plane on the downswing, but as I come in on a flatter plane, its harder to square the clubface consistently. I leave it open more, especially with my pitching wedge when I try to swing on a 60 degree plane. Is this typical? any ideas on squaring it up more consistently as I swing on a flatter plane? Thanks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It is typical. what type of grip (weak or strong) do you employ and how exactly are you going about flattening it? And why?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
A lot of people attempt to get flatter by "popping out" more which "can" open the clubface too much.

If that is the case, then squaring the face can be problematic without a stronger grip.

TPG

New
I am using a strong grip - the line formed by the thumbs are facing between my right ear and shoulder. For some reason, I was jamming the butt end of the club forward without at the same time, rotating my hands early enough to square the clubface. I hit a few this afternoon without this issue, it was just wierd yesterday , I couldn't seem to get my hands to work correctly.

I want to flatten my plane somewhat because (1) video shows the clubhead approaching the ball somewhat out to in (2) the last golf magazine article claiming a 45 degree angle into the ball with driver is optimal - I cant get down to 45 degrees right now with my driver - it feels like my hands are not flexible enough (?).....

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I am using a strong grip - the line formed by the thumbs are facing between my right ear and shoulder. For some reason, I was jamming the butt end of the club forward without at the same time, rotating my hands early enough to square the clubface. I hit a few this afternoon without this issue, it was just wierd yesterday , I couldn't seem to get my hands to work correctly.

I want to flatten my plane somewhat because (1) video shows the clubhead approaching the ball somewhat out to in (2) the last golf magazine article claiming a 45 degree angle into the ball with driver is optimal - I cant get down to 45 degrees right now with my driver - it feels like my hands are not flexible enough (?).....

By the sound of it, I personally wouldnt try to flatten your plane angle. Try to get your hands a little deeper on the backswing and put them in your right pocket coming down.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It might feel steeper because of the vertical hand path but it has a way of rounding out the clubhead path when you add the right arm midway down.

By the sound of it, I personally wouldnt try to flatten your plane angle. Try to get your hands a little deeper on the backswing and put them in your right pocket coming down.

Sorry to but in on this topic but....

Went to the range this evening, was doing ok but nothing special, so I tried puting the butt of the club in my pocket on the way down. WOW... Never so far, never so straight !!

I have not heard this before do you know if there are any other comments on this,or can you explain further..? The more I tried to stick it in the pocket the more distance I got.

Thanks

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I could talk forever on this but in a nutshell, it will force you to redirect the sweetspot out to the ball using force across the shaft. But if I were you, id just keep doing it:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.