Flatter shoulder turn without laying it off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any advice on how I can flatten my shoulder turn without getting laid off at the top?

After many months of using a Soft Draw-type backswing, I've overcooked the ideas somewhat and my shoulder turn has become too steep. However, if I flatten it out, I tend to get too much around my body and the club is laid off at the top.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think a big part of this would be to remember to try and keep the right arm a little higher than the left, like Brian advocated in the SD video. I struggle with laying the club off, and as Jim often says on the site, it can be because there is too much "around" and not enough "up" on the backswing.

Give it a try!

Stew

I think a big part of this would be to remember to try and keep the right arm a little higher than the left, like Brian advocated in the SD video. I struggle with laying the club off, and as Jim often says on the site, it can be because there is too much "around" and not enough "up" on the backswing.

Give it a try!

Stew

Well, the problem is that I took that concept a little too far. Now if I try to do that, my shoulders get too steep. If I go flatter, I can't keep my right arm higher.

I have found out through some mirror work that pre-turned hips help, although I haven't been able to try it outside yet (too cold and snowy this past week). I am hoping to get some other ideas so that if I do get a chance to hit some balls, I'll have a few things to try out.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
With the flat turn keep your hands in with your left elbow pointing at the ground. Make sure you're doing a little lagging clubhead takeaway as well. Try to keep your left arm under an imaginary left breast:D

Status
Not open for further replies.