flexion/extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im starting to understand what Brian means when he says he doens't like monitoring the hands. I have always relied on timing of the clubface with a little roll. And with the new out toss, go normal information I was hitting it very well.

But now after working on the flexion/extension release. I have realized there is a better way to square the face and it takes little if any thought of monitoring the hands. It is where you direct your hands and tumble and what direction you ride the table top down that dictates the d-plane configuration and shot shape. When doing the fexion/extension release I have found it's much easier for my subconcious to take over.

I thought this would be a good place to post if you monitor your hands and or roll the face. I know this is not new information to some of you and it may have been talked about before, but going into more detail about it can't hurt.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
When I used to believe in the "monitor the hands" theory a long, long time ago, I asked MANY, MANY good players—all PGA Tour level, or folks that had played in multiple majors, what are they monitoring?

Some said "nothing," the others said "the club."

JEREMY,
I feel that it's good to monitor the hands as a good reference point when things aren't going well. When one figures out a way to make them behave then it's not needed...

leon

New
Im starting to understand what Brian means when he says he doens't like monitoring the hands. I have always relied on timing of the clubface with a little roll. And with the new out toss, go normal information I was hitting it very well.

But now after working on the flexion/extension release. I have realized there is a better way to square the face and it takes little if any thought of monitoring the hands. It is where you direct your hands and tumble and what direction you ride the table top down that dictates the d-plane configuration and shot shape. When doing the fexion/extension release I have found it's much easier for my subconcious to take over.

I thought this would be a good place to post if you monitor your hands and or roll the face. I know this is not new information to some of you and it may have been talked about before, but going into more detail about it can't hurt.

Totally agree, and I would add that I think the key to it is getting enough ulnar deviation at address - getting the grip more perpendicular to the fingers a Brian shows in the release video. Haven't had much practice time recently, but since Mike Jacobs posted the suprisingly high ulnar deviation numbers I started to focus on it with really great results.

JEREMY,
I feel that it's good to monitor the hands as a good reference point when things aren't going well. When one figures out a way to make them behave then it's not needed...
Well thats kind of my point. It would take me a few days of playing in a row to get the roll timed well enough to do subconsciously and i would have some good rounds. But with the flexion/extension release feels like I could walk on the course cold take a few practice swings and go. Soooo much easier to time.

Well thats kind of my point. It would take me a few days of playing in a row to get the roll timed well enough to do subconsciously and i would have some good rounds. But with the flexion/extension release feels like I could walk on the course cold take a few practice swings and go. Soooo much easier to time.
Oh, sorry Jeremy, I must have misunderstood. I remember us having a little chit-chat about this a while ago. When I hit a rubbishy shot now, I can feel my hands pull forward and up approaching impact, WAAAy before they've stuck the club in the floor, so to speak. Then I'm kind of retro-monitoring them, if that makes any sense.

Oh, sorry Jeremy, I must have misunderstood. I remember us having a little chit-chat about this a while ago. When I hit a rubbishy shot now, I can feel my hands pull forward and up approaching impact, WAAAy before they've stuck the club in the floor, so to speak. Then I'm kind of retro-monitoring them, if that makes any sense.
Well I've only been working on the table top analogy for five or six days. I dont have it mastered or anything. Just seems to make everything easier.

Totally agree, and I would add that I think the key to it is getting enough ulnar deviation at address - getting the grip more perpendicular to the fingers a Brian shows in the release video. Haven't had much practice time recently, but since Mike Jacobs posted the suprisingly high ulnar deviation numbers I started to focus on it with really great results.
Thanks leon i haven't really worked on that part of it I will watch Brian's video again.

Status
Not open for further replies.