Flipping Question - Simple Answer Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably one of the biggest flippers you will meet and trying to eradicate it from my swing using Brians video.

I cannot deal with technical thoughts and need to feel what I am doing. I have had a couple of range sessions and it feels like I am now leaving my hands behind. Am I on the correct path? I hope so but if somebody could confirm it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Simple Nick

pivot your body more through the ball. try not to get sucked into a discussion about the kinetic chain if you cant deal with technical thoughts.

No i cant do technical. Most of the posts on here go way above my head!!

So turn through the ball more?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I am probably one of the biggest flippers you will meet and trying to eradicate it from my swing using Brians video.

I cannot deal with technical thoughts and need to feel what I am doing. I have had a couple of range sessions and it feels like I am now leaving my hands behind. Am I on the correct path? I hope so but if somebody could confirm it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Simple Nick

Leaving them behind in the change-of-directions?

If so...

Absolutely a GOOD THING!

Yes when I start the downswing it feels like I am leaving them behind. Is this due to the bent right wrist which I havent previously had?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
ok so nothing to do with trying to cure the flipping?

No.

It has plenty to do with curing the flip.

.....assuming no open clubface issues....

The PIVOT should CARRY the hands a bit in the change of direction, it helps move the hands FORWARD and OUTWARD without going too downward.

Which makes it easier to control LOW POINT.

And if you bottom out in front of the ball......you are on your way.

Thanks.

Simple Nick

Nick, i had the same problem flipping the hands at impact. steep divots and i actually injured my right elbow (inside part). don't try to help the ball the club should do that for you. the biggest problem i had is that i wasn't turning at all with my shoulders it was all arms, i had a total collapse at impact. get good shoulder rotation on the backswing and start your downswing with your lower body and then the rest should follow. cock your wrists at top and don't forget to uncock as well, don't stop pivoting keep turning all the way through.

hopefully this will help you
bigjoe

Last edited:
My best "Manzella one-off" cure for flipping came from watching the Soft Draw pattern.

Specifically, the right arm underhand javelin toss maintaining a conscious bent right wrist by trying to keep the right palm facing perpendicular to the target line. This seems to keep the butt end of the club traveling on the line "one foot right of target".

Try it!

depends what level of flipperism you're at.

Believe or not, freezing your wrists at the top of your pitching backswing and the pivoting like a robot is a great way to learn the flat left wrist for a lot of guys. After that, you can then learn how to swing from your shoulder sockets.

ggsjpc

New
Feel like you hit the ball later. Mentioning that you feel like you leave your hands behind was a feeling I felt as I worked on getting rid of the flip. The follow through may also feel wider.

Remember, the downswing motion is Forward, Out...and Down. Most flippers forget the down part. A good drill is to hit balls with the toe of the club and the heel of the club off the ground at impact. If you flip, the ball can't get airborne. Try it.

A lot of people have problems stemming from their intent to to help the ball in the air.

A lot of people just need a clubface fix though too.

My dad used to play to about a 5 and still plays pretty well. (shot -2 this year on 9 holes...3300 slope 121)

Would be very surprised if he could take a divot in front and hit a draw. Chances are pretty high he'd shank it I think.

I could fix him if he wanted to but he just wants to do his thing and work on tempo, etc. I don't meddle. :)

Hail to the Leader

First find the leading edge of your wedge and grab a magic marker. Draw a line along that leading edge. Hit some pitch shots concentrating on what you need to do so that you erase that line off the sole of the club.........you will notice a lot more forward lean of the shaft is needed to get the leading edge to make contact with the turf AFTER contact is made with the ball. Another good practice drill is to hit some chips and pitches with your eyes closed. This will allow you to focus on the hands, balance and pivot. Picture in your mind erasing the line on the front edge of the sole and listen for that crisp sound of precision compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.