Float load from behind view

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this might be a useful view for someone that is new to the concpet of float loading to see a lagging clubhead takeaway into a float load. I wish the video quality was better, I will try to do some experimenting.

Nice clip, for so many years my thoughts of lag was actually dropping it inside with an open face.

How wrong I was.

Good visual. :)

Last edited:
I thought this might be a useful view for someone that is new to the concpet of float loading to see a lagging clubhead takeaway into a float load. I wish the video quality was better, I will try to do some experimenting.

Nice. What does this motion feel like to you? What do you feel like you're doing in order to accomplish this?

Everytime, I try to float load I feel like I am flipping at the bottom. With all that torque being unloaded at the ball, I am just not sure of the feeling to stick with it.

Everytime, I try to float load I feel like I am flipping at the bottom. With all that torque being unloaded at the ball, I am just not sure of the feeling to stick with it.

As Les Johnson alludes to in his video Power Golf you should feel like the club is going to be so late that you won't even hit the ball. He says he is surprised every time that he hits the ball. If you overaccelerate at any point in the downswing there is no possibility of this feeling. I believe the key is to have a strong pivot that very smoothly accelerates. Do not attempt to move the club any quicker than your pivot can sustain. Further, do not try to pivot faster at the beginning of the downswing that you can sustain. The truth is, when you look at the biomechanics of the swing (kinetic chain particularly) you will find that the pivot slows down in a well-executed swing near impact and the power package is released. In spite of this phenomenon I think the pivot should feel very steady throughout in regard to speed.

Matt

Nice. What does this motion feel like to you? What do you feel like you're doing in order to accomplish this?

A strong but steady pivot, no sudden acceleration. I think the lagging clubhead takeaway and a wide arm swing on the backswing really makes it easy to allow the soft arms and hands to let the club drop onto the #3 pressure point as you start down. I feel a wide but relaxed arm swing which allows the right arm to increase its bend in the downswing and the soft hands allows the left wrist to cock more. In short, I try to feel the types of things Brian talks about in his Episode 5 video on youtube. I also picture McHatton when I swing.

A strong but steady pivot, no sudden acceleration. I think the lagging clubhead takeaway and a wide arm swing on the backswing really makes it easy to allow the soft arms and hands to let the club drop onto the #3 pressure point as you start down. I feel a wide but relaxed arm swing which allows the right arm to increase its bend in the downswing and the soft hands allows the left wrist to cock more. In short, I try to feel the types of things Brian talks about in his Episode 5 video on youtube. I also picture McHatton when I swing.

Thanks for the response. One other thing. It looks as if the feel is of one continuous motion from startup to finish, with no separation of backswing and downswing. Is this accurate?

As Les Johnson alludes to in his video Power Golf you should feel like the club is going to be so late that you won't even hit the ball. He says he is surprised every time that he hits the ball. If you overaccelerate at any point in the downswing there is no possibility of this feeling. I believe the key is to have a strong pivot that very smoothly accelerates. Do not attempt to move the club any quicker than your pivot can sustain. Further, do not try to pivot faster at the beginning of the downswing that you can sustain. The truth is, when you look at the biomechanics of the swing (kinetic chain particularly) you will find that the pivot slows down in a well-executed swing near impact and the power package is released. In spite of this phenomenon I think the pivot should feel very steady throughout in regard to speed.

Matt

Mrodock,

Do you chip and pitch with some lagging clubhead takeaway and float loading?

Mrodock,

Do you chip and pitch with some lagging clubhead takeaway and float loading?

Lagging clubhead takeaway and float loading as far as my philosophy is concerned is for power. Anything that is less than a 3/4 wedge shot is right forearm governed with a lower body pivot.

Status
Not open for further replies.