Flying elbow again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bring up this old chestnut again, but the flying right elbow is still giving me trouble. I knew I had a problem when I watched a clip on YouTube of a Dutch guy explaining the ‘flyvende albue’, so thought I would ask here.

I have watched Brian’s flying elbow video about fifty times. While it is heartening that it is not necessarily a bad thing, I still have some questions.

Is there only one type of flying elbow? I understand having a slightly more inside hand path and how the club lifts up more from there, but I see something completely different in my backswing. When the club is horizontal, my hands are still outside my toeline. Instead of my right arm folding neatly from there, by halfway back it is kind of spat out behind me as my hands have got really deep, not staying in the middle of the chest where Brian's hands are in his demonstration.

Also compared to how Brian demonstrates the flying elbow, my club is flatter halfway back and more laid off at the top (used to cross the line). Elbow still sticking out. Is there anything that is causing this or any way I can promote my right arm to fold?

I am a flipper as well, so am religiously still working on confessions (sorry again - that sounds really religious). Is there another video that explains more about the backswing, in particular how the right arm is meant to behave?

Usually when someone has problems with flying elbow it is because they are picking up their right arm on the backswing. Think more about folding in the right arm on the backswing. On the downswing you are unfolding the right arm.
Flipping is a byproduct of the body stopping on the downswing and the hands flipping in order to hit the ball. LEARN TO TURN. Do some slow-motion swings and just pay attention to the left wrist as you turn through the ball.

Thanks Chip. That's the trouble, yes; promoting the right arm to fold. I agree it is normally lifting that causes the flying elbow, but mine feels and looks more like it is being shoved out the back.

Do any of Brian's other videos talk about this folding of the right arm?

My turn definitely stalls during the downswing, part of the split-second timing required to flip it up in the air! Confessions has definitely given me plenty to think about here, but I can't help wondering whether the lack of co-ordination between the arms and body manifest in the flying elbow in the backswing is making it trickier to have a flat left wrist at impact.

nwb

New
Thanks Chip. That's the trouble, yes; promoting the right arm to fold. I agree it is normally lifting that causes the flying elbow, but mine feels and looks more like it is being shoved out the back.

Do any of Brian's other videos talk about this folding of the right arm?

My turn definitely stalls during the downswing, part of the split-second timing required to flip it up in the air! Confessions has definitely given me plenty to think about here, but I can't help wondering whether the lack of co-ordination between the arms and body manifest in the flying elbow in the backswing is making it trickier to have a flat left wrist at impact.

I have had similar problems in the past and found that i needed to rotate my forearms more in the backswing. To help this I make sure my rear elbow (i'm a lefty) is pointy at or even inside my rear hip at address. Makes rotation more automatic for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.