Flying Wedge Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
I seem to have just discovered that there is a strange aberration to my flying wedge.I have 'high hands' at address and as such my right wrist is slightly in an uncocked position.As I form my flying wedge by bending back my right wrist it seems to stay in the uncocked position and does not level out.Is this acceptable as I am not really moving my right wrist up and down?

Erik_K

New
YES!!!!

You don't want cocking/uncocking of the right wrist.

One reason we spend so much time discussing the grip, is so you can get the wedges established properly at address and keep 'em throughout the swing.

rundmc

Banned
To have the Right Forearm Flying Wedge in its proper alignment (shaft in line with the right forearm) the Right Wrist is required to be LEVEL. With an open hand, the fingers will point DOWNWARD at an angle if the wrist is LEVEL . . . it looks as you said "slightly in an uncocked positon."

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by rundmc

To have the Right Forearm Flying Wedge in its proper alignment (shaft in line with the right forearm) the Right Wrist is required to be LEVEL. With an open hand, the fingers will point DOWNWARD at an angle if the wrist is LEVEL . . . it looks as you said "slightly in an uncocked positon."
Are you sure?If the right wrist is level there will be an angle between the right forearm and shaft.To get them inline you need to have the right wrist uncocked.We don't hold the club with an open hand.

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by ej20

quote:Originally posted by rundmc

Are you sure?If the right wrist is level there will be an angle between the right forearm and shaft.To get them inline you need to have the right wrist uncocked.We don't hold the club with an open hand.

Yes sir. If you have the book check out the picture 4-B-1. It shows the LEVEL Right Wrist with closed hand. If the hand is open the fingers will point downward at an angle. It looks uncocked but it's not.

Gotcha you don't grip the club with an open hand. But for the Right Forearm Flying Wedge to be aligned properly the Right Hand grip is taken with the grip in the cup of the right hand not the fingers.

Obviously there are a lot of people who grip the club in the fingers which is cool. But the grip advised in TGM per 10-2-0 is Usually, the only real difference between Right and Left Hand Grip is that the Clubhshaft lies under the heel of the Left Hand but it (or the left thumb) lies in the cup of the Right Hand.

If you grip it in the cup of your Right Hand with your Right Wrist LEVEL, then it is easy to have the Right Forearm and clubshaft in the same plane. Per 2-F, Picture the javelin thrower with the right elbow and On Plane right forearm leading the hand toward the target (Delivery Line) all during Delivery. See 6-B-1. So the javelin chucker has his Right Forearm verticle to the ground and the palm facing the sky. And the javelin and forearm are in the same plane.

Not many pro's set up with the Right Forearm and shaft in the same plane. But they get there at impact.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
level "looks" like it's uncocked...but it's not.

Level means you could literally put a level across your forearm and your thumb (top of the hand) so that where the wrist cocks (vertical motion) it'd be "level" and the bubble not be to one side or the other.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

level "looks" like it's uncocked...but it's not.

Level means you could literally put a level across your forearm and your thumb (top of the hand) so that where the wrist cocks (vertical motion) it'd be "level" and the bubble not be to one side or the other.
Thanks Jim you could be right.I always thought that level means that the fingers are inline with the forearm.It might be cocked in this position.What looks to be slightly uncocked may indeed be level.

ej20

New
rundmc,I agree that most pros don't setup with an inline shaft and right forearm but I thought TGM advocates this.I can name a few that does do this though.Moe Norman and Stuart Appleby..pretty ok ball strikers.I can never get comfortable with a low hands setup.

The reason most pros don't look lie the right forearm is on-plane with the club....is they set up with Standard Address which has the hands in the Mid-body location rather than the in front of the Left Foot Location which is Impact Fix....

impact Fix...right forearm on plane
standard address.....usually not on plane

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Adjusted address should put the right forearm on plane. You want the club on plane with the right forearm (and mid body) so it is easier to trace a straight plane line.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by Tom Bartlett

Adjusted address should put the right forearm on plane. You want the club on plane with the right forearm (and mid body) so it is easier to trace a straight plane line.
Yup,thats how I try to do it.No need to go extreme like Moe and have the entire right arm on plane,although it works for him.Just the right forearm will do.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I think this thinking about your Flying Wedges stuff is all fine and well.

But, if you put your right forearm on plane (I have always taught this post-'87) and maintain a flat left wrist, you have "maintained your wedges."

quote:Originally posted by brianman

I think this thinking about your Flying Wedges stuff is all fine and well.

But, if you put your right forearm on plane (I have always taught this post-'87) and maintain a flat left wrist, you have "maintained your wedges."

But after Start Up, the Right Forearm has to come Off Plane. Then one must ensure that the Right Wrist stays Level and not Cocked also (and Left Wrist remains Flat).

Considering many weekend golfers Cock their Right Wrist which destroys the Flying Wedges, do you teach a Level Right Wrist when teaching the Flying Wedges, or just a Flat Left Wrist?

"Considering many weekend golfers Cock their Right Wrist which destroys the Flying Wedges"

They are among a select group which include most touring pros. Anyone who points the butt of the club between the toe line and the plane line on the BS is cocking the right wrist.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

"Considering many weekend golfers Cock their Right Wrist which destroys the Flying Wedges"

They are among a select group which include most touring pros. Anyone who points the butt of the club between the toe line and the plane line on the BS is cocking the right wrist.

Where the Clubshaft is pointing during the Backswing is more a function of how much your Wrists Turn (Rotational movement) than how much they Cock (Vertical movement). However, I do see where you're coming from...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have ALAWYS taught a level right wrist.....ALWAYS.

Never taught low hands.

Figured out the thesis of—and a different drill for— what the dowel drills are used for, on my own in 1987.

If you teach all day, and think and study all night, and you have a Ben Doyle as a teacher, and you want to be the best...

...you figure out A LOT of things.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by tongzilla

Where the Clubshaft is pointing during the Backswing is more a function of how much your Wrists Turn (Rotational movement) than how much they Cock (Vertical movement). However, I do see where you're coming from...

exactly...depends more on how much your lead arm in the golf swing rotates in the backswing

ej20

New

MJ,I have to disagree with you.Nick Faldo is a prime example of a player with a steep backswing plane preferred by leadbetter.I have a swing sequence of him from behind(looking at his back) and you can see clearly that his right wrist is not cocked but level on the backswing.He states clearly that he bends his RW back and not upwards(cocked) in his book.

You can manipulate the wrists to point the club anywhere you want but that's not how you should do it.There is a correct way to get the shaft flatter or steeper without compromising the flying wedges.

quote:Originally posted by ej20

MJ,I have to disagree with you.Nick Faldo is a prime example of a player with a steep backswing plane preferred by leadbetter.I have a swing sequence of him from behind(looking at his back) and you can see clearly that his right wrist is not cocked but level on the backswing.He states clearly that he bends his RW back and not upwards(cocked) in his book.

You can manipulate the wrists to point the club anywhere you want but that's not how you should do it.There is a correct way to get the shaft flatter or steeper without compromising the flying wedges.

After reading your original post and this latest, I'm certain you don't know what "level" is. Level is quite a bit uncocked, and not that far from totally uncocked. Look at 4-B-1 and 4-B-3. Anyone who gets the club over the right shoulder and parallel to the plane line at the End has a cocked right wrist(4-B-2). For example Els -

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructi...uction/swingsequences/gd200310powerswing.html

Status
Not open for further replies.