For teachers or anyone who has experienced it

Status
Not open for further replies.
A steady head. How important is it to ball striking? A lot of old pros, Snead and Nicklaus included, seemed to regard it as a universal bedrock fundamental of becoming a great ball striker. Just wondering people's opinion on the matter.

Yeah, but even they didn't do what they THOUGHT they did with their head. NOBODY keeps their head perfectly "fixed". Having said that, maintaining a more fixed shoulder center will allow most "regular Joes and Janes" to return the clubface more accurately back to the ball.

I put these type things in the preference category as opposed to a swing principle. There are just too many great players that have moved their head off the ball to believe it's a MUST. The misinterpretation of it is dangerous. Most reversed pivots are a result of trying to keep the head steady.

I know it's foolish to think one can keep it rock solid throughout the swing, but keeping it "steady" and letting dynamic balance take over is more important, I would imagine. Mainly just from address through transition, or even just to the top is what I'm questioning. I understand the forces generated by swinging a club at 100 mph makes things move, such as the head. Nicklaus mainly didn't like the up or forward movement. Back and down, slightly, were acceptable. I know our resident teacher here does a bit of a bob and weave in his backswing, and he mentioned the steady head on the Ideas video. Just thinking about random things since work has been keeping me away from the course for a bit.

Thank you for the responses.

A steady head. How important is it to ball striking? A lot of old pros, Snead and Nicklaus included, seemed to regard it as a universal bedrock fundamental of becoming a great ball striker. Just wondering people's opinion on the matter.

Never thought about it with any sport I ever played.

art

New
I know one thing that is a disaster for me, to take a peek where the ball went, before the cover gets torn off.

Dear bluebird,

I have spent time studying the phrase, and the science as to why so many golfers at some time will say, "I looked up", usually preceded with some form of alarm and/or profanity.

If you or your associates have had this happen when a camera was being used, IMO you will find that what REALLY happened is that YOU LOST YOUR DYNAMIC BALANCE, PROBABLY THE LOWER BODY. The natural reaction (most of the time swinging BEYOND the stability limits) is for the head to REFLEX and come up.

A good analogy, is a bodies reaction to tripping over a door jam, or berm in a parking lot etc. Just picture what your body does in response to this significant, unexpected instability.

So, the 'proof' that you lost your balance, and DID NOT look up too soon, will simply be the REACTION OF YOUR LEGS, mostly the LEAD leg. That is why I asked if you have captured any of these 'looking up too soon' events to reinforce OR refute my hypothesis that 'no you didn't, (and I believe can't) look up too soon, you LOST your lower body dynamic balance'. Again, probably by trying to swing TOO hard, by FORCE, rather than TORQUE.

One last thought, if you or a friend seem to be having a problem 'looking up', please just try to set-up with increased lower body dynamic stability margin, and IMO, the problem will disappear.

Sincerely,
art

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Looking up?

I blew that one up the FIRST DAY I bought my FIRST video camera—in 1985. Nobody really does it like they think.

Steady Head?

Who's teaching a NON-steady head?

Stationary head?

On shots where your weight moves, your head should move some. Period.

Looking up?

I blew that one up the FIRST DAY I bought my FIRST video camera—in 1985. Nobody really does it like they think.
Thanks for the tip, but that is my perception. No problems here. What I noticed for myself is that often early in a round, a level of nerves rises and overtakes basic fundamentals. Usually when I tell myself to calm down and finish hitting the ball before my body destroys what chances there are of good contact, contact improves. Please do tell what is really happening. And thanks.

I'm going to guess that just like everything else, the only real reason to fix it is if it's the root cause of a problem, and not just because.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Are any of the other sports involve the ball being stationary? How good of a pool player would you be if you moved your head a bunch?

BTW, I'm just asking.........I have no pony in this race.

Eh, not as important as you think. It's more important to have a steady elbow in your shooting arm; that has more control over the cue tip than your head.

Burner

New
However..........

Eh, not as important as you think. It's more important to have a steady elbow in your shooting arm; that has more control over the cue tip than your head.

As in golf, if you are moving your head about all over the place you are moving your eyes also. The consequences of which are self-evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.