for the hogan experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hogan had a bump to the right in the backswing, the same bump Bman recomends in the perfect pivot article. Did hogan do this with his short shots, half shots? Does brian recommend this in all shots as well.
thanks
Neil

hogan also bumps back towards the target before completing his backswing - more so than most tour players today.

great video!!!

that bump toward the target is definitely one of the pieces of the Hogan puzzle.

Thanks Leo - I found it interesting that in the last shot (mexico 1956 ) he seems to increase his hip rotation even as he moves forward towards the target and his left foot is flat on the floor UNTIL he moves towards the target and increases hip rotation. Impressive and interesting motion!

Snead did it so differently.

I think that move is great for "over-tilters" like me. Also great for loading the shaft.

I personally think the short arm swing characteristic of Hogan is a key component to this "premature bump".

I can see why so many people got lost trying to copy his swing.

It's silly for the average golfer to copy Hogan. OMG Tiger just chipped in!!! lol I'm watching the open..... With that said, people should try to emulate Tiger's short game, and not Hogan's crazy ultra compensated swing.

I think that the following list of players offer more utility: Gene Litler, Annika, Sam Byrd, and Faldo.

You just noticed?

:D

Anyhoo, the bump is great recommended for all shots except very short ones, or severe downhill/sidehill lies, and very low shots.
yeah just noticed, I am a little slow ;)
thanks for the reply brian, the bump does seem to set up rhythm, helps me to not take it back so fast and when I do it I seem to automatically bump in the downswing so the downswing is bump and fire.
thanks
neil

Brian Manzella

Administrator
yeah just noticed, I am a little slow ;)
thanks for the reply brian, the bump does seem to set up rhythm, helps me to not take it back so fast and when I do it I seem to automatically bump in the downswing so the downswing is bump and fire.
thanks
neil

You are welcome Neil.

The REASON you have to bump—get weight off your left foot early in the backswing—is because on the 3D machines, the kinetic chain snap of those who HOVER or actually shift LEFT going back, is PITIFUL.

Right now, I am two weeks on my diet to get to 165. I started at 215, and I am about 205. I can't bench press 120 pounds. If I ran a forty yard dash right now, I couldn't bust 5.2. I am so inflexible, I would FLUNK every stupid test by the TPI gang.

But I am hitting it CONSISTENTLY over 280 and many shots this weekend playing in a tournament with Tom Bartlett, I was up with him at and past 300.

You want to hit it long?

Figure out what I am doing, the heck with Hogan.

You are welcome Neil.

The REASON you have to bump—get weight off your left foot early in the backswing—is because on the 3D machines, the kinetic chain snap of those who HOVER or actually shift LEFT going back, is PITIFUL.

Right now, I am two weeks on my diet to get to 165. I started at 215, and I am about 205. I can't bench press 120 pounds. If I ran a forty yard dash right now, I couldn't bust 5.2. I am so inflexible, I would FLUNK every stupid test by the TPI gang.

But I am hitting it CONSISTENTLY over 280 and many shots this weekend playing in a tournament with Tom Bartlett, I was up with him at and past 300.

You want to hit it long?

Figure out what I am doing, the heck with Hogan.
well I can appreciate that you would be a person who may be able to help me a lot with my swing. I am greatful for the free time you have given me, you are a generous man, and your dvd's are interesting and you seem to have a lot of golf knowledge. You got a site that has quite a few knowladgable people on it as well.

Currently I have an instructor who is teaching me a hogan swing. He can demonstrate, he has played at a high level, and he knows the muscle movements of why to do what. Is he perfect, probably not. But he has gotten me quite a ways in a short time. So I am doing a little fishing on the hogan swing while staying in his guidlines. Why, just because he is local.

My objective is once I get down what he is teaching me, I can then learn more ways to do it. If you were in my area and could give me constant lessons I imagine I would be able to get where I want as well. thanks for the tip on why the weight does not stay left, I hear what you are saying. Next time we meet, I will have a more respectable swing

Good luck on the weight loss BMan, my best to you
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.