Friend of mine is just starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, buddy of mine is starting out cold... good news is he is athletic. He doesn't have an overly exaggerated over the top move, but he his slicing, its a pretty bad push slice... hes got to be keeping that club face wiiiiide open on the down swing and at contact.
Tips on what could help him? and anything that I should tell him that every new golfer should be working on in general?

Probably, get him on Brian's building blocks video. It is probably the best way to start someone fresh out there.

Then he can move to NSA (if he is slicing) NHA (if he is hooking) or SD (to develop his draw into something controllable). Gonna take some time to develop a pattern in his swing, so best to start with the basics and go from there.

I really wish I had found this site 1.5 years ago when I started. Building blocks would have helped me build a complete game (including chipping and pitching).

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I''ll bet he has a late fit in move under the ball for that push slice.Check his face. Then, see if he can make his move to his left foot while retaining his hip and shoulder turns.

Push slice means clubface is open, path is to the left to some degree. Most beginners inevitably start off with a slice and then when they get that corrected they start fighting a hook. I think in his case he needs to learn to get better control of the clubhead. Brian has some really good videos for this like CoFF and Building Blocks. I'm not sure he exactly would need NSA 2.0 right now. From there, he should look at finding a quality instructor...too much of a ceiling learning just from videos. Learning a quality grip and pivot are two great places to start. After those have been learned, then I would work more on swing plane and other 'icings on the cake.'

Just my .02.

3JACK

Kevin..What's a fit in move???

I'm pretty sure the fit in move is where they are swinging over the top and to counteract the fact they would miss the golf ball they lift their body up and back (make their spine more vertical to the ground) to get their arms in and hit the ball.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure the fit in move is where they are swinging over the top and to counteract the fact they would miss the golf ball they lift their body up and back (make their spine more vertical to the ground) to get their arms in and hit the ball.

Are you really 16? Thats pretty good.

I bought NSA, SDP,CoFF and BB(web versions) a full length mirror and got a golf club. Read the Forum..listened to the people that I thought knew what they were talking about and did alot of "posing" in the mirror. I also watched Youtube videos alot and studied swings of people that had the same body type/athletic abilities as myself. That's how I learn, not everyone learns that way. If your friend knows the best way he understands new information, and he uses his unique ability to process it...He will be fine.

Thanks guys, I think he is coming up an out of his spine angle, but Ill watch him more closely tomorrow, we are going to the range. One thing I was trying to get him to do during our round on Saturday, was wedding ring up and twistaway, along with a more left sided setup ala "manzella matrix" but thats going to take some getting used to for him.
I need to get him to stay in his spine angle, and pivot.... not better just pivot any... haha.

Twistaway.

Twistaway.

Twistaway.

Twistaway.

and make sure the heel pad of his left hand is on top of the grip:)

To quote the Italian with some paraphrasing from the Canuck....

You can open the face at three points in the swing...
1. address - bad grip
2. backswing - twist toward/over rotation
3. downswing - " " " "

Good Luck Dash!

and make sure the heel pad of his left hand is on top of the grip:)

To quote the Italian with some paraphrasing from the Canuck....

You can open the face at three points in the swing...
1. address - bad grip
2. backswing - twist toward/over rotation
3. downswing - " " " "

Good Luck Dash!

thanks guys, I fixed his grip, he had a hockey style split hands grip when we started, by the second hole, he had a slightly strong (ala SD pattern) interlocking grip, and he played with it the whole day... so that was promising. definitely going to have to get him to do twistaway...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.