Front foot spin out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents

I have a big issue with my front foot 'spinning" out, especially on shots off the deck. I have been told that I swing hard, but I'm a big guy 5'11, 220#, ( not fat - pretty muscular ) and I really don't feel like I do - at least on purpose. One theory I have, and it may be way off base, is that for 15+ years I played 2nd base, and I still play basketball - 2 sports where the pivot is key. Maybe this has crept in my swing somehow? Also, I'm not the most flexible guy you have ever seen ( but I'm working on that ) so maybe that's an issue? Maybe I'm a candidate for the stack & tilit:D I strike the irons pretty well, but sometimes my aim & distances just very too much. Any drills / ideas guys?

Thanks!

tank

New
You probably appear to swing hard (even though you are not trying to) because your swing is so out of sequence. Look at PGA players who swing their drivers at ridiculous speeds but manage to appear smooth and unhurried.
I used to do the same spin-out with the front foot, and I believe it was caused by overusing the upper body early in the downswing. Now that I have learned to be smooth in the transition by getting my weight to the left hip socket before starting my downswing, it is no longer an issue. Hope that helps.

BTW, my body specs' are pretty much exactly as you describe yours.

Last edited:
try keeping your weight more to the insides of your feet. stops the spin out I find. I find when I keep my feet "pressing" down I have really good balance and motion, thus hitting the ball well.

The more underplane I get on downswing, more my left foot spins. I have literally dug holes with my left heel. You may be "stuck", or underplane on downswing.

Work on. Posture, balance,arm swing. You might swing it excessively flat..too much baseball swing in that golf swing.

Swinging under control is the key for me. When I really try to rip it, my front foot not only spins out, I come completely out of the shot with both feet, a la Phil Mickelson.

Try hitting some easy wedge shots, and then gradually build up your swing speed until you start spinning the foot....then back off to the speed that didn't cause you to spinout. Then do the same with your other clubs.

Go buy a set of balance cushions/pillows. Take some practice swings standing on them and try not to fall off. When you step back onto the ground and take swings your lower body should feel very stable. Take right and left-handed swings on the cushions/pillows to balance your pelvis and musculature.

And don't forget to stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.