Fun equipment fact #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past 12 months on the PGA Tour, graphite shafted irons have been used to win more than $23,000,000.

Kuchar and Snedeker for sure Jobe, I think and I'm sure there are others

You know, to me, Snedeker looks like he's always swinging easy and just coasting through the ball. Is that the right way to hit a driver? mgranato and Kevin Shields, do you feel like you're swinging with 80% effort when you're hitting a driver?

You know, to me, Snedeker looks like he's always swinging easy and just coasting through the ball. Is that the right way to hit a driver? mgranato and Kevin Shields, do you feel like you're swinging with 80% effort when you're hitting a driver?

Can't speak for the good doctor, but I don't. Not sure how you would gauge 80% effort, but I think that number would be way too low. If your balls out max speed is 100 mph, I doubt anyone would play at 80 mph. I bet the number would be closer to 95%. Never really thought about in terms like this though.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

I'm swinging that club head as fast as I can without falling over:)

hmm...I can swing extremely fast without falling over...but definately lacking some precision control when I do that.

Ii am interested in this... I used to play graphite, but the stock pnes generally were to light. I am playing 90g steel now, but I tend to have issues with tendonitis, etc the minute I went to steel. I like the weight of the steel, but I am sure finding something in graphite to match the weight of the steel would be on the very expensive side?

The latest generation of steel shafts run in the $30-$40 range. Tour level (weight and quality) graphite is in the $40-$45 range.

A ProjectX flighted steel shaft (available in weights of 115, 120, 125, 130) is $38. The shaft used to win the $23 million (available in weights of 70, 80, 95, 115, 125) is $41.

Back when I played the Sr. Tour in the mid 90's, I used a graphite shaft in my irons made Aldila that was in the 100+ range. Switched from steel then due to tendonitis issues. As I do not play or practice anywhere near as much, I have been back to steel for about 12 years - currently using KBS Tour "S" which are 120 grams. Probably need to move to something a little lighter and with a slightly softer tip as I no longer launch 4 & 5 irons high enough.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.