Future US Ryder Cup captains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun I started thinking about who the future Ryder Cup captains are likely to be. It’s always been pretty easy to predict who the next one was going to be, but I never thought more than 2 years ahead before. I decided to look a little closer into the past selections by the PGA of America, and there are some interesting statistics on the past 20 Ryder Cup captains.

1. Age range is 43-50. Jack Nicklaus (43). Jackie Burke Jr., Corey Pavin (50)

2. Every Captain has been a Major winner. For many years there was a PGA Championship bias. Tom Kite was the 1st Captain since 1955 with only one major, where that major wasn’t a PGA. All the other Captains with only 1 major were PGA champions. (Chick Harbert , Jerry Barber, Jay Hebert, Dow Finsterwald, Dave Marr, Lanny Wadkins )

3. Multiple major winners that never captained. ( Julius Boros, Johnny Miller, Hale Irwin, Hubert Green, Larry Nelson, Andy North ) Boros, Green and Nelson (2) all won the PGA.

4. No presidents Cup Captain has gone onto Captain the Ryder cup.

These are the best bets for the next 6 Ryder cups. I put what age they’ll be in parentheses.

2012. Davis Love (48), Lee Janzen (48)
2014. David Toms (47) Brian Manzella, Michael Finney assistant captains.
2016 & 2018 Jim Furyk (46), Phil Mickelson (46)
2020. Justin Leonard (48)
2022. Stewart Cink (49)

Obviously a lot can happen in the next 12 years to change things, but I don’t see an American over 36 years old winning a Major that doesn’t already have one. Unless the PGA goes with an over 50 Fred Couples, gives a non-Major winner a chance (Steve Stricker) or lets someone repeat (Paul Azinger), these are the choices. It looks like David Toms has a real good shot for 2014.

What is more puzzling is the fact that a two-time Major winner never made it onto a Ryder Cup team.
BTW, Couples is already involved with the President's Cup. Let's give other players a chance.

How is it that Larry Nelson got screwed so badly in being passed over for Ryder Cup captain? Viet Nam vet, two majors, three Ryder Cup appearances and a 9-3-1 record. Throw in the World Golf Hall of Fame and you sort of wonder at how these decisions are made...

Larry got a bad deal. He wanted to do it. He was 48 when Wadkins captained, and 50 when Kite captained. Definitely the most glaring omission. Nice guys finish last I guess. And that's 3 majors. ( 2 PGA's ) He is the only multiple winner of the PGA since 1940 to never captain.

It's amazing how much Nelson accomplished, considering he started the game in his 20's. Talk about beating odds. Why wouldn't you want a guy like that, especially when the chips are down?

David Toms has an excellent chance this week. He's in the top 5 this year in both driving accuracy and GIR. This course has been very good to medium length drivers in the past. I've already stated why I think he's the most likely pick for 2014 Ryder cup captain. Obviously a win here would make his chances that much better. I also think he'd be getting very close to a Hall of Fame induction. There is no way they are going to be able to keep this unofficial quota of 20 wins and 1 major to get in. They will run out of players. I'll bet it will be decades before 2-3 more players get to 20 wins. Go David!!!

What is even more puzzling is that one or two Grand Slam titles never made it onto the Ryder Cup team. Incidentally, the couple has been involved in the Presidents Cup. We give other players a chance.......

Some other things to consider...

You missed one as far as multi major winners never to captain...John Daly. It is a total sham that he was never even picked to play in a Ryder Cup. What idiots didn't pick him to play in 1992 or 1996?

I think they should let a player who has captained before captain again. But not Azinger, WATSON!! especially if it were a year when we played in Europe.

Really, David Toms or Stewart Cink as Captain? Seems in line to do it, but that's not who I'd pick.

I know there is no way it would go down this way, but here's how it should play out so we had truly worth US Captains.

2012 - US Event - Davis Love III
2014 - European Event - Tom Watson or Lee Janzen (preferably Tom Watson)
2016 - US Event - John Daly or Larry Nelson (Choose Daly if we are trying to win the Cup back and Nelson if we are trying to hold on to the Cup).
2018 - European Event - Justin Leonard
2020 - US Event - Phil Mickelson
2022 - European Event - Phil Mickelson
2024 - US Event - Tiger Woods
2026 - US Event - Tiger Woods

Just for fun I started thinking about who the future Ryder Cup captains are likely to be. It’s always been pretty easy to predict who the next one was going to be, but I never thought more than 2 years ahead before. I decided to look a little closer into the past selections by the PGA of America, and there are some interesting statistics on the past 20 Ryder Cup captains.

1. Age range is 43-50. Jack Nicklaus (43). Jackie Burke Jr., Corey Pavin (50)

2. Every Captain has been a Major winner. For many years there was a PGA Championship bias. Tom Kite was the 1st Captain since 1955 with only one major, where that major wasn’t a PGA. All the other Captains with only 1 major were PGA champions. (Chick Harbert , Jerry Barber, Jay Hebert, Dow Finsterwald, Dave Marr, Lanny Wadkins )

3. Multiple major winners that never captained. ( Julius Boros, Johnny Miller, Hale Irwin, Hubert Green, Larry Nelson, Andy North ) Boros, Green and Nelson (2) all won the PGA.

4. No presidents Cup Captain has gone onto Captain the Ryder cup.

These are the best bets for the next 6 Ryder cups. I put what age they’ll be in parentheses.

2012. Davis Love (48), Lee Janzen (48)
2014. David Toms (47) Brian Manzella, Michael Finney assistant captains.
2016 & 2018 Jim Furyk (46), Phil Mickelson (46)
2020. Justin Leonard (48)
2022. Stewart Cink (49)

Obviously a lot can happen in the next 12 years to change things, but I don’t see an American over 36 years old winning a Major that doesn’t already have one. Unless the PGA goes with an over 50 Fred Couples, gives a non-Major winner a chance (Steve Stricker) or lets someone repeat (Paul Azinger), these are the choices. It looks like David Toms has a real good shot for 2014.

Tom Watson was captain in 1993 I don't think he will do it again. I don't think Daly is organised enough or can keep it together for long enough to be a good captain.

Daly Has no chance. He'll probably be married to Casey Anthony by then, and OJ Simpson could be his assistant. Imagine the uniforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.