Gary Woodland gets dumped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

You need to makes some calls and get this guy in your stable! Great opportunity to really make your mark on the tour with an up and coming player.

i may be an average golfer, but i happen to be an extraordinary ceo. and from my POV this is a hilariously pedestrian move... and for what? so randy smith can make a one day splash with the national golf media then spend rest of his life telling everyone at his church that when push came to shove he sided with his kid over arguably the #1 young golfer that every teaching pro and driver manufacturer on the planet would love to get their hands on?

wait for the splash steiny makes when he announces foley as woodland's new swing coach... and a new nike endorsement deal, and a watch deal, and a sports drink deal, and a car deal, and... you get the point.

randy who?

Last edited:
If the reason is because of his son, then Randy is a moron. Is he going to demand that any future tour players he teaches be represented by his son? Good luck with that.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If the reason is because of his son, then Randy is a moron. Is he going to demand that any future tour players he teaches be represented by his son? Good luck with that.

I don't think that's the case. It just so happened that he was so when Woodland dumped him, that's when Randy did the same. At least that's how I read it.

I'll bet it's more a case of everyone who the son represents will be persuaded to work with the dad.

this is a simple case of the father catching 'em and the son frying em'. if i was a parent of a talented, aspiring golfer there is no way i'd drop my kid into a situation like this. imagine what people would be saying if butch or hank's kids were agents?

I don't think that's the case. It just so happened that he was so when Woodland dumped him, that's when Randy did the same. At least that's how I read it.

I'll bet it's more a case of everyone who the son represents will be persuaded to work with the dad.

Truth Not Reported

Gary had an opportunity to get into a better management situation and absolutely did the right thing. Blake has been great for Gary and got him hooked up with Titleist after Adams reniged on their obligations to Gary after his shoulder injury. Blake presented this opportunity to Gary initially and may have had an opportunity to come with Gary, or not. Whether he did not have this opportunity, or simply did not want to drop the other players he is representing (or could not contractually), he's not going with Gary. Blake and Gary were cool with this, but Randy found out and lost his mind. Gary absolutely loves Randy and is not happy about the way this ended. He would like to be with Randy, but he will likely be joining Butch after an appropriate cooling off period.

A teachers relationship with a student is something only he/she knows. For any of you who have worked with very good players, you know it is NOT just the ability that binds you. There is an interpersonal dynamic that does not have to do with golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.