Getting the right shoulder down plane (cont).

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the other "how do I get my right shoulder down plane" thread Brian offered the following:

The RIGHT SHOULDER AREA is very important to the athletic motion of any right-handed competitor.

From the top of ANY baseball swing, boxing punch, football throw, etc, the SHOULDER AREA has to go some place (because totally stationary is deadsville).

In the golf swing—with an effective pivot—the SHOULDER AREA will provide two VERY IMPORTANT things:

Direction.

Power.

For example....if you are a hooker, plagued by underplane and out-to-right-field clubhead path, you need your shoulder to help you swing more left. So...the shoulder has to go more toward your left heel from the top, and less toward your right heel.

Most folks who come "over the top" need to feel like they put in in their right pants pocket to stop roundhousing.

Get it?

So, ideally, where do you want it to go?

Same place as the clubhead—DOWN PLANE.

The ball is down there, down-plane, and all force should go there as well.

The use of a laser CAN help some folks do a better job.

Here's how:

At the top of a posed swing with the right hand only, use your left hand to point the laser from a spot just in front of your right shoulder toward the plane line (out to the far right of the ball).

Then make movements TOWARD the ball, keeping the laser pointed to the line.

In lots of patterns, the laser won't go all the way through on the line, for various geometrical reasons. But I have rarely seen anyone hurt by trying for all the way through. The best LPGAers do this.....'cause they can.

But wait! I think we're missing something here.........hip action.

Per 7-15, "The work the hip action does, is to lead and pull the Shoulders back and down in varying combinations."

Focusing on a straight plane line with the PP3 and right shoulder independent of proper hip action "monitoring" for lack of a better word seems like trouble.....

So what do you think about hip action and it's relationship to the shoulders in the downswing?

Dustin - You talked about the right shoulder and what it did for you distance wise. Did you feel like your hip action changed at all?

So long as the right shoulder goes down enough........and the left up enough.........

You have to have a good hip bump......yes?

Does 7-12 explain how to get more axis tilt?

So long as the right shoulder goes down enough........and the left up enough.........

You have to have a good hip bump......yes?

I'm assuming you mean a good bump helps to facilitate the R shoulder going down and the L up?

7-12 looks to be the solution in that you must slide parallel to the plane line or angle of approach or you (summarized) end up delaying the right arm from straightening.

This seems to answer the problem of how to get more access tilt?

1) Slide a bit
2) Weight goes left onto front foot
3) Shoulders begin movin'
4) Left leg begins to straighten
5) Hips are getting pretty open
6) teacup starts tilting
7) chain snaps?

I need to read the perfect pivot articles again and see if this is anywhere in the ballpark.....:eek:

Very simply...

get your tail bone in front of your neck bone at impact.

I've been fightin' the roundhouse for a while now and the above makes sense. However, I have no idea how to actually make it happen.

I see so many people with their weight left early in the swing and there is just no way that my right hip is accommodating this move. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.