Golf resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your's for 2013?

Mine... to do whatever I can to make it injury free for 12 months with better conditioning and quality over quantity.

What are your's for 2013?

Mine... to do whatever I can to make it injury free for 12 months with better conditioning and quality over quantity.

Try this book Mike. I may be wrong but I think this is the first "exercise" book I have read that is entirely science based. Many, many myths are exploded. Citations up the ying yang.

A 20 minute high intensity workout once a week. I have been on it for 10 weeks. Notable increase in strength, stability, mobility and muscle mass. And without crippling myself.

http://www.amazon.ca/Body-Science-Research-Program-Results/dp/0071597174

Drew

Last edited:

ZAP

New
Practice putting every day I am home this winter even if it just a few putts.
As soon as the weather breaks I am hitting the short game hard and I AM going to be less of a handle dragging bum.

Other than that I am going to enjoy golf more than ever and play more rounds with my wife and kids.

Mine,,

1. Find a way to 'quiet' the mind and concentrate more,
2. Find the will to start stretching and exercising at least some,, and the supreme will to continue,
3. Find a way to play and compete with guys I don't even like.*

* I play in the Pittsburgh Golfers Tour ("PGT"). With my HI I get paired with some people that I just cannot stand. No golf etiquette,, constant jabbering and gambling,, etc. Annoying. I need to be 4-5 strokes better to get out of that flight. If only I could avoid those 3-5 'blowup' holes a round.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Score lower.

Get to know "me" better as a golfer. I will likely never be a world class ball striker. But I can tighten up my misses and capitalize on my putter and short game better.

hp12c

New
To get back the pattern I was using when I was spanking the ball. It was sprinkled with COFF, NSA and SD unfortunenately I cant seem to put all the ingredients together. Im a bad cook I should seek help from master chef Bmanz. :)

Erik_K

New
To make a serious run to be the #1 golfer in my league (for my flight). I finished in the top 5 or 6 this past season and I see no reason why I can't improve even more. The biggest help last year was getting more confidence with the wedge game, especially short pitches of 30 yards or less.

Try this book Mike. I may be wrong but I think this is the first "exercise" book I have read that is entirely science based. Many, many myths are exploded. Citations up the ying yang.

A 20 minute high intensity workout once a week. I have been on it for 10 weeks. Notable increase in strength, stability, mobility and muscle mass. And without crippling myself.

http://www.amazon.ca/Body-Science-Research-Program-Results/dp/0071597174

Drew

Reading that one as we speak. About half way through.

"Body by Science"

Follow the Amazon link for more details Mike.

I'm a big fan, been doing this for 3.5 years now. I don't know if it's the absolute best way to gain strength, but it's without a doubt the most time effective! Due to schedule constraints and a hectic life, I am averaging a workout about every 2 weeks, 12 minutes long and keep maintaining or gaining strength.

McGuff is awesome, has a good blog as well and is very helpful and answers questions, etc.

"Body by Science"

Follow the Amazon link for more details Mike.

That cover looked very familiar... went up to the office and found it buried under a few other books. I picked it up a couple years back to read during my recovery from back surgery. Given the amount of pharmaceuticals involved, in retrospect, probably wasn't the best reading material to try to digest. It basically went on a shelf and sat there until you mentioned it.

I've started it over fresh this weekend... they had me at "...we must exclude activities such as jogging and running from being considered as exercise." :)

conk and huestisc,

Good to see you have picked up on this. I am on once a week schedule with my wife. Weight used has increased 30% to 50% for both of us. Also interesting that flexibility has improved without any stretching routines. Muscle mass has increased and fat decreased while weight has remained stable. Blood sugar well under control.

I am reluctant to claim this is the final answer but it is working a lot better than the 3 times a week programme I was on before.

Drew

conk and huestisc,

Good to see you have picked up on this. I am on once a week schedule with my wife. Weight used has increased 30% to 50% for both of us. Also interesting that flexibility has improved without any stretching routines. Muscle mass has increased and fat decreased while weight has remained stable. Blood sugar well under control.

I am reluctant to claim this is the final answer but it is working a lot better than the 3 times a week programme I was on before.

Drew

Good stuff...the important thing is this book, as you mentioned, is backed by a ton of research and not fluff. I have read alot of reviews of this book and a lot of people swear by it.

Just curious, are following a Paleo diet as well Drew?

My Resolution

Accept the briefness and vagueness of some of Kevin's comments. Recognize that he does not have all the time in the world.

Can someone explain more about the 'idea' behind this book?
When I hear pills and sport I am always a bit sceptical. Not that it doesn't work (Armstrong is the proof that it does work ;-)
But is it
a) healthy
b) not doping?

Maybe I misunderstood Mike's comment on Pharmaceuticals.

That cover looked very familiar... went up to the office and found it buried under a few other books. I picked it up a couple years back to read during my recovery from back surgery. Given the amount of pharmaceuticals involved, in retrospect, probably wasn't the best reading material to try to digest. It basically went on a shelf and sat there until you mentioned it.

I've started it over fresh this weekend... they had me at "...we must exclude activities such as jogging and running from being considered as exercise." :)

Me too Mike. What a relief!

Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week: Amazon.ca: John Little, Doug McGuff: Books

Drew

Just purchased the Kindle version,, gonna try and wade through.

I hated running and jogging and don't have the time to go to the gym every other day (which used to be my schedule). Curious to learn just what equipment, etc. is needed to do the exercises.

FYI to all,, I have a Kindle reader on my iPod Touch (great for when I'm traveling) and found a Kindle reader for my laptop. Cool,, now I can read in the office or on the road on a larger screen. Just go to Amazon and search for Kindle reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.