Golf resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff...the important thing is this book, as you mentioned, is backed by a ton of research and not fluff. I have read alot of reviews of this book and a lot of people swear by it.

Just curious, are following a Paleo diet as well Drew?

Not as such Conk, but if reducing carbohydrates is a key to the paleo diet I am there. Most of my diet information I got from this podcast which I think is in line with what I know of paleo. The interesting thing is that most of this information has been available for many years ...

Taubes on Why We Get Fat | EconTalk | Library of Economics and Liberty

Another important insight from the book for me was that muscle requires a lot more energy to maintain. So more muscle means the body calls on fat to supply the additional calories required. With this exercise regime you can lose fat but maintain weight without any additional calorie reduction.

Can someone explain more about the 'idea' behind this book?
When I hear pills and sport I am always a bit sceptical. Not that it doesn't work (Armstrong is the proof that it does work ;-)
But is it
a) healthy
b) not doping?

Maybe I misunderstood Mike's comment on Pharmaceuticals.

The drugs were not related to, endorsed, or recommended by this book. They were for nuts-n-bolts... :)

Spine-1_zps449cdf51.jpg

Last edited:
Just purchased the Kindle version,, gonna try and wade through.

I hated running and jogging and don't have the time to go to the gym every other day (which used to be my schedule). Curious to learn just what equipment, etc. is needed to do the exercises.

FYI to all,, I have a Kindle reader on my iPod Touch (great for when I'm traveling) and found a Kindle reader for my laptop. Cool,, now I can read in the office or on the road on a larger screen. Just go to Amazon and search for Kindle reader.

There is a lot of science there Glenn and it can be read at your leisure. But if you want to get right into the exercise routing go to the "Big Five" chapter.

As far as equipment is concerned he does explode the myth that free weights are the best way to exercise. Machines are good because they make it easy isolate muscle groups. After watching people with a big dumbbell throwing the whole torso back to do a bicep curl you get the idea.

He recommends Nautilus machines because they are tuned to the strength profile of the muscles worked. I don't have any around me but Universal machines seem to work OK.

Last edited:
Yeah, the placements weren't too great and they didn't go in too straight, but I saved a ton on hospital costs. The screws came right out of a tour van.

tm_zpsa7d94d4d.jpg

This is great. My two main passions in life have met on this forum.

Just as with golf instruction, there is a very deep history associated with the concepts of body by science. Doug McGuff was heavily influenced by the writings of both Arthur jones, who invented the original nautilus machines and really was the first person to advocate this type if training known more widely as high intensity training and mike mentzer, a bodybuilder who had close communication with Arthur.

Anyone interested in getting maximum results from minimal time should seriously consider this approach. It has benefits that go greatly beyond those of just an aesthetic nature.

I would recommend further reading on Arthur jones and his nautilus bulletins. High intensity training by mike mentzer as well as heavy duty 2 and if the Internet is your thing check out drew bayes website. One has to remember that these teachings are based on physiological truths that every being obeys.

If you want to find out about a palaeolithic diet and make the most of your training check out primal blueprint and the new evolution diet. Dert and exercise can literally reprogramme your DNA for the better.

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing Pilates this year to build up my core muscles and start running again.
I don't have much time for excersise so what do you think, would this 'Body by science' help me with building up my core muscles and increase my general fitness or is it mainly for building up muscles as in Body building? I am not aiming to look like the Hulk, just trying to build up the core muscle to prevent injury and maybe hit it a couple of yards further.

I don't know whether any of the gyms around here have these Nautilus machines, can you do the 'Body by science' excersise on normal machines as well?

So what are the arguments against jogging in the book? That it isn't good for the joints?

Par hunter

Although the practical application if the books premise is really quite straight fwd and time efficient (practically 20 mins in the gym once a week) the how's and whys behind it, of which the author does a fantastic job of explaining and justifying, is at simple quite complex. To answer your questions in full I really would recommend reading the book, but in simple:

Yes this will strengthen your core muscles due to the compound exercises involved and yes it will increase your aerobic and anaerobic performance mutually which some ppl find difficult to come to terms with, normally ppl who advocate hi volume aerobic activities like jogging

No you won't end up looking like a bodybuilder unless you 1. Are genetically superior in this department and if so chances are you would know by now and would find yourself already exploring this and 2. You take some sort of anabolic steroid or artificial growth hormone. You will be surprised how hard it actually is to put on muscle if you are not hard wired to do so.

No you do not need nautilus machines and in fact the book doesn't reference these when recommending the workout routine. The nautilus machines were invented by Arthur jones who spend hours and hours of hands on research on how the body responds to resistance most effectively and then designed exercise machines to that end.

Essential the argument put fed is that exercise is a stimuli that the body responds to either by adapting to positively (gain strength speed and flexibility as well as secondary benefits if improved health markers) or negatively due to exposing the body to a stimuli that is so high in volume that is has the opposite effect or so low in intensity it is a waste of your precious time.

Last edited:
Not as such Conk, but if reducing carbohydrates is a key to the paleo diet I am there. Most of my diet information I got from this podcast which I think is in line with what I know of paleo. The interesting thing is that most of this information has been available for many years ...

Taubes on Why We Get Fat | EconTalk | Library of Economics and Liberty

+1000 on Drew's post.

In 2012 I started a new way of eating that changed my life in the course of one year. Taubes' two books (the one Drew is referencing is the most accessible) and his talks and interviews were the foundation, and I essentially read everything in the Very Low Carb and Paleo library. I essentially have done what I would call Low Carb - Paleo, a hybrid which is essentially eating non-processed "Paleo" foods in a way that limits carb grams to 30 per day every day. I had lost weight before doing this, but never fully committed to a slow lifetime change.

I agree with the prior references about Robb Wolff and Mark Sisson being great Paleo resources and I do think Taubes offers the science behind why avoiding sugar and starch works. What I really learned over 2012 is that there's not anything in golf I would value above not lugging that huge spare tire around my middle any more and no longer needing to wear a "bro" (even a great wedge game -- which would change me from a 5-handicap to a plus handicap player).

By the way, I happen to work many people who are elite weekend athletes. The ideas that most of us 50-year old people (or older) grew up with about fitness involving running 5-6 miles a day five times a week have been replaced by newer, more scientific approaches. I am now old enough to know several people who have had joint replacement surgery from years of treadmill running - not optimal. Many people learn about Paleo eating plans from Crossfit these days.

And to bring it back to golf, there are a lot more swing and handpath options for Luke Donald than for Calc.

Science really can change your life and your golf. I always wanted a quick fix for being significantly overweight, and accepting that a slow loss of 4-5 pounds a month adds up, if it is a long-term plan, was the hardest part.

Anyone wanting additional info on the dietary stuff about books to read should send me a private message.

Sorry, mgranato for the little bit of thread-jacking here. Love the Tour Van replacement screws!

Last edited:
Par hunter

Although the practical application if the books premise is really quite straight fwd and time efficient (practically 20 mins in the gym once a week) the how's and whys behind it, of which the author does a fantastic job of explaining and justifying, is at simple quite complex. To answer your questions in full I really would recommend reading the book, but in simple:

Yes this will strengthen your core muscles due to the compound exercises involved and yes it will increase your aerobic and anaerobic performance mutually which some ppl find difficult to come to terms with, normally ppl who advocate hi volume aerobic activities like jogging

No you won't end up looking like a bodybuilder unless you 1. Are genetically superior in this department and if so chances are you would know by now and would find yourself already exploring this and 2. You take some sort of anabolic steroid or artificial growth hormone. You will be surprised how hard it actually is to put on muscle if you are not hard wired to do so.

No you do not need nautilus machines and in fact the book doesn't reference these when recommending the workout routine. The nautilus machines were invented by Arthur jones who spend hours and hours of hands on research on how the body responds to resistance most effectively and then designed exercise machines to that end.

Essential the argument put fed is that exercise is a stimuli that the body responds to either by adapting to positively (gain strength speed and flexibility as well as secondary benefits if improved health markers) or negatively due to exposing the body to a stimuli that is so high in volume that is has the opposite effect or so low in intensity it is a waste of your precious time.

Thanks Gary for your long post! One more question, does the book have lots of pictures or only text in which case I would get the kindle version.

Regards

ParHunter

Erik_K

New
Try this book Mike. I may be wrong but I think this is the first "exercise" book I have read that is entirely science based. Many, many myths are exploded. Citations up the ying yang.

A 20 minute high intensity workout once a week. I have been on it for 10 weeks. Notable increase in strength, stability, mobility and muscle mass. And without crippling myself.

Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week: Amazon.ca: John Little, Doug McGuff: Books

Drew

I haven't read the book but the premise sounds "interesting."

Having said that, based on what I've read from the various posts, I'd likely object to a lot about what the author conveys - especially the usage of machines to build strength and the relative (in)frequency of the workouts. But before making any serious comments I need to read the book and also consider it's context. It may be geared to a group of people who are, basically, very weak and out of shape and most any sort of excercise will be beneficial.

I am not going to get into a separate argument here about what it takes to get stronger or more fit. I (along with everyone else) have their opinions and programs on what works and what doesn't. I'd always be very conscious about books that insert tons of footnotes related to various "studies." The rationale presented doesn't mean it will be of any benefit to you. Now if these authors are well-respective strength and conditioning coaches with a broad range of clients of different backgrounds (age, genetics, injuries, etc) who've made gains (particularly in the strength department), then it's worth a listen/read.

Erik

I love the direction this thread is going.

Did the big 5 this morning, and Par, if you do the 5 suggested exercises the right way at the right speed you'll definitely feel results in the core... the 3D core, not just the front. :)

I'm a little more than 1/2 way through the book. I suppose I'll have to join a gym (again). The big question I have is:
How do I know or will I know how much weight to start with?

I may need to check with people I know and get their reaction towards once a week high-intensity vs. a more conventional approach. I also may have to find someone who believes in ths approach and can coach me,, at least for the initial 4-6 weeks.

Trust me, if once a week would do it,, I'm in. Big time. I simply do not have the time or the discipline to go to the gym every other day for an hour or more.

I think I am in it as well. Watched a lot of videos on it on YouTube.
Still don't know though whether the paper version is better or whether the kindle version will do.

My wife is happy about this thread as well. She tried to get me on a Harcomb diet (similar to paleo) for a while (to support her not because I am overweight). Problem is I love my bread (especially if there is a piece if minced meet, some gherkins and a tasty sauce between the two slices ;-) well I might just give it a go.

I just hope that you can't do too much wrong with the big 5 excercises without supervision

Par,, I'm ~60% of the way through the Kindle version. Minimal photos/illustrations. The advantage is that you can get the Kindle version immediately rather than waiting for delivery. Plus, you can get a Kindle reader for your iPod/iPad/iPhone *and* a Windows PC.

Burner

New
I'm loving it.

I think I am in it as well. Watched a lot of videos on it on YouTube.

Problem is I love my bread (especially if there is a piece if minced meet, some gherkins and a tasty sauce between the two slices ;-) well I might just give it a go.

Ha! Sounds like you need the
mcdonalds-logo.jpg
cDonalds drills.

I'm a little more than 1/2 way through the book. I suppose I'll have to join a gym (again). The big question I have is:

I may need to check with people I know and get their reaction towards once a week high-intensity vs. a more conventional approach. I also may have to find someone who believes in ths approach and can coach me,, at least for the initial 4-6 weeks.

Trust me, if once a week would do it,, I'm in. Big time. I simply do not have the time or the discipline to go to the gym every other day for an hour or more.

Check this out Glenn.

Q&A: Determining The Starting Resistance For New Subjects | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Certainly a knowledgeable trainer would be the best way to get into the process. Baye's and McGuff's sites may provide guidance here.
I do not have a trainer but I have been a weight rat for many years and know my way around the machines. I may be wrong but I suspect the biggest barrier to starting this program is coping with the mental and muscular discomfort (read pain) that comes with High Intensity Training Training (HIT). You really have to get outside your comfort zone to get any benefit. For a newbie, a trainer would be very helpful in coming to grips with the challenge.

The other important thing for a beginner is attention to form. Baye has some very good stuff on this and has a new book out on just form. Without getting into too much detail I see beginners make the following mistakes most often ...

Too fast.
Throwing the body into positions that help make the exercise easier.
Not making a smooth, controlled turnaround but rather jumping at the weight to get it going the other way or bouncing at the end of an extension.

Hope you find it as helpful as I did Glenn.

Erik_K

New

I find it hard to believe that 1 brief gym session per week will amount to any serious gains. It is possible to get some strength work done at the gym going 1-2x week, say, and some additional supplemental work done away from the gym. But again one must consider the goal(s) in question, prior injury history, age, etc too. As you said, if you can't spare much more than an hour per week, don't be shocked that after 1 month, or 6, you haven't seen any solid improvements in the strength or conditioning department.

Starting weight - this is done by trial and error. Often coaches put a "light" to "moderate" amount of weight on the bar and then examines how much the student struggles. In my experience people often underestimate how much they can lift (assuming the technique is solid).

Status
Not open for further replies.