Golf resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik_K

New
I think I am in it as well. Watched a lot of videos on it on YouTube.
Still don't know though whether the paper version is better or whether the kindle version will do.

My wife is happy about this thread as well. She tried to get me on a Harcomb diet (similar to paleo) for a while (to support her not because I am overweight). Problem is I love my bread (especially if there is a piece if minced meet, some gherkins and a tasty sauce between the two slices ;-) well I might just give it a go.

I just hope that you can't do too much wrong with the big 5 excercises without supervision

You can absolutely do serious damage to your body depending on the exercise and applied load. That's why good coaching is imperative in order to see measureable gains over a reasonable period of time AND to avoid injury. Weightlifting can be a very safe activity, but you need to know what you are doing. IMO, the average weekend warrior that I (used) to see at the local gyms have god-awful form when it comes to the basic compound lifts: squats (all varieties including overhead, front, and back), overhead pressing, bench pressing (this one is especially bad for most people), and the deadlift.

Hi par hunter

Yes the book has numerous illustrations and I would get the paperback over the kindle for this reason.

I'm not 100% convinced yet that this will help my golf game nor am I am 100% convinced this is the route I should take. I will need to finish the book and then talk with others. One thing I do know - I simply do not have the time to go to the gym every other day,, that entails ~30 min to get to the gym, workout ~1hour, and then 30-45 min to shower and get back to the office.

Woops

Within 2 minutes of reading "12 minutes a week..." I had purchased a copy on eBay. Of course, this completely contradicts the speech I recently gave my wife about no longer using hard copies of books or DVD's since the e-versions would always be easier to use.

Either way, looking forward to 15 more yards. :)

Erik_K

New
I'm not 100% convinced yet that this will help my golf game nor am I am 100% convinced this is the route I should take. I will need to finish the book and then talk with others. One thing I do know - I simply do not have the time to go to the gym every other day,, that entails ~30 min to get to the gym, workout ~1hour, and then 30-45 min to shower and get back to the office.

You might be surprised at what you can do on your own and/or what a modest investment in your own equipment to help save time (and money in terms of monthly gym dues). Fitness need not be restricted to some large building that houses Nautlius machines and treadmills. I hear you about the time. I usually hit the gym on my way home. It certainly impacts my day a little but getting home an hour to an hour and a half later is no big deal (most people would spend the same time playing angry birds or watching reality TV).

I have a modest home setup that replicates about 90% of what I did at my old gym. As far as the basic compound lifts are concerned you don't much money or space. But everyone's home, life style, and budget are different.

I have done a lot of reading on this type of exercise and the concepts involved and a lot of the reservations can be dismissed

In essence the body is an organism that responds/reacts to stimuli. What we want from exercise is the correct stimuli in the precise dosage that brings about a positive response by the body in an attempt to adapt.

I like to use the analogy of sunbathing as it bears a very close physiological resemblance to the concept of exercise. Imagine you are sitting in the sun and your goal is to achieve a golden tan. You first require a stimulus, the uv rats from the sun, and you require that stimulus to be of a certain intensity. With a strong sun beating down on your skin your have all the ingredients for an adaptive response to occur, we have the stimuli and we have it in a sufficient intensity, but that is not the end of the recipe. We now need to expose ourselves to the stimuli accordingly. In this example, their will be a point, personal to each and everyone of us, that we reach where we have reach an optimum volume or duration and ANYTHING beyond will be diminishing returns or in the case sunburn.

It is neither necessary nor desirable to do anything above and beyond what is optimum. In the above example a persons own physiological makeup provides the variation. Example an albino would barely respond to the stimuli and would in fact burn with very little stimuli intensity and duration, in an exercise viewpoint this would be someone is is extremely unfortunate and genetically bereft of responding to exercise, on the other side is someone who has dark skin and can be exposed to a more intense stimuli and adapt accordingly, in the exercise world this would be Arnie!

The above is a crude and basic example of the concept behind hit training. At its essence you have 3 variables, intensity, duration and frequency. High intensity for brief bursts that is sporadic in its natures brings about the most positive physiological response, I can personally attest to this

Pm me if you like

Erik_K

New
I have done a lot of reading on this type of exercise and the concepts involved and a lot of the reservations can be dismissed

In essence the body is an organism that responds/reacts to stimuli. What we want from exercise is the correct stimuli in the precise dosage that brings about a positive response by the body in an attempt to adapt.

I like to use the analogy of sunbathing as it bears a very close physiological resemblance to the concept of exercise. Imagine you are sitting in the sun and your goal is to achieve a golden tan. You first require a stimulus, the uv rats from the sun, and you require that stimulus to be of a certain intensity. With a strong sun beating down on your skin your have all the ingredients for an adaptive response to occur, we have the stimuli and we have it in a sufficient intensity, but that is not the end of the recipe. We now need to expose ourselves to the stimuli accordingly. In this example, their will be a point, personal to each and everyone of us, that we reach where we have reach an optimum volume or duration and ANYTHING beyond will be diminishing returns or in the case sunburn.

It is neither necessary nor desirable to do anything above and beyond what is optimum. In the above example a persons own physiological makeup provides the variation. Example an albino would barely respond to the stimuli and would in fact burn with very little stimuli intensity and duration, in an exercise viewpoint this would be someone is is extremely unfortunate and genetically bereft of responding to exercise, on the other side is someone who has dark skin and can be exposed to a more intense stimuli and adapt accordingly, in the exercise world this would be Arnie!

The above is a crude and basic example of the concept behind hit training. At its essence you have 3 variables, intensity, duration and frequency. High intensity for brief bursts that is sporadic in its natures brings about the most positive physiological response, I can personally attest to this

Pm me if you like

Gary -

No argument there. There may be benefits to longer-duration excercise at a moderate intensity (say a nice hike) and also very intense excercising that may or may not include intervals. About the only thing I am against would be very intense excercising for rather long periods of time. I think this invites injury and perhaps produces or stimulates a hormonal response that is actually counter productive.

It took me some years to realize the following:

Reduce stress in any way possible
Get enough rest
Understand that what you eat is 70% of ANY fitness goal
It is possible to complete a killer workout in 10 minutes or less
Olympic and power lifting movements are the best way to improve strength

In general I probably actually work out for 10-30 minutes - that includes strength sessions and some conditioning/cardio work. When you factor in the commute, BS'ing with friends afterwards, telling jokes, etc the total time could be much, much higher. It has been said that even at the most elite levels of sport, the amount of time the athletes spend actually excercising is suprisingly low. This varies with the sport in question (pro and olympic athletes are very hard workers don't get me wrong). Yet, the conventional wisdom is that you "can't overdo a good thing," and that being fit entails 5-7 trips per week to the Globo gym at 2 hrs per visit (nearly a part-time job).

Erik

Last edited:
Fortunately, the body is a MASTER at compensating for whatever it has to put up with. Unfortunately, the body compensates for everything in the most lazy (also most efficient from the body POV) way.

Whatever you do, your brain/body is trying to figure out ways to compensate for it so that it will have to do less work.

The timeline/workouts presented seem to be designed to keep the body from knowing when or what will be worked out thus the body is left to just react and then heal itself, rather than figure out how to 'most easily' adapt to the workouts it must endure.

Are their better training programs out there, ABSOLUTELY. Will this one work better than most any 'regular routine', ABSOLUTELY.

you're all on the right track. and some of you might want to look into Indian Clubs which have become my latest favorite workout. i have 10 pounders and they're monsters. get 2-5 depending on your starting point. it's not really HIT training, but it's a good complimentary exercise to the big moves in relation to golf. it's the 2nd preferred workout in swingfitgolf.

ZAP

New
Club bells have become a big part of my current training. I have two 25 s and one 15. Lots of fun and challenging movements.

Good for you, Zap. I started with a steel club bell, but once I got those beautiful wooden Indian Clubs in my hands I couldn't go back. Good transfer to golf, huh? There's a legendary guy here in L.A., Richard Maguire, who produces them...agelesstrength.com. They're really nice.

It may be important to note that "Body by Science" does have HIT exercises specific to golf and other sports.

But up to now I have found that the Big Five have increased strength enough to significantly improve my stability and balance in the swing.

ZAP

New
Good for you, Zap. I started with a steel club bell, but once I got those beautiful wooden Indian Clubs in my hands I couldn't go back. Good transfer to golf, huh? There's a legendary guy here in L.A., Richard Maguire, who produces them...agelesstrength.com. They're really nice.

It took me a while to get used to the grip strength gains I got from using them. It felt for a while like someone stole the heads off my irons. Now that it has normalized for me it is OK. Might have to look into that site though for some variety and some lighter models. I can use them for other movements I cannot physically do with the heavier ones. Thanks for the heads up.

Ha! Sounds like you need the
mcdonalds-logo.jpg
cDonalds drills.

Actually I rather eat Salad all day then having to eat McDonald burger!

You might be surprised at what you can do on your own and/or what a modest investment in your own equipment to help save time (and money in terms of monthly gym dues). Fitness need not be restricted to some large building that houses Nautlius machines and treadmills. I hear you about the time. I usually hit the gym on my way home. It certainly impacts my day a little but getting home an hour to an hour and a half later is no big deal (most people would spend the same time playing angry birds or watching reality TV).

I have a modest home setup that replicates about 90% of what I did at my old gym. As far as the basic compound lifts are concerned you don't much money or space. But everyone's home, life style, and budget are different.

I hear you. I decided a more convential approach would be better for me. My recovery from neck surgery in February is almost 100% and I think a slower more convential approach will be better for me (e.g., 3 sets of 10 reps, etc.).

Today, I went out and purchased a home gym setup 'cuz there is no way I have the time and effort to pay for and go to a gym (e.g., LA Fitness). The setup I purchased is the Weider 2980 X System. Not a great setup, but should work for me. I'm not interested in bulking-up. I do remember I was in better condition when I went to a gym every other day for ~3-4 months a few years ago. I know what routines one should do. I also know my time is very limited due to work constraints. Hopefully, seeing the setup as I awake will prod me into working out at least every other day.

One of the greatist hits EVAH!! Ranks right up there with the hit on Earl Campbell by Donnie Shell in 1978 (1979?) in Houston. Very pleased South Carolina was able to say 'eff you' after that horrendous 1st down call for Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.