Golf Swing creates 25 acre fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golfer's swing sparks 25-acre California blaze

ept_sports_golf_experts-253208312-1283293182.jpg

You can use a golf club for all kinds of non-golfy purposes -- walking stick, fishing rod, club, to name three. And now we can add to that list -- firestarter.
Over the weekend, a golfer's routine swing in the rough at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine, Calif., struck a rock. Not so different from the way you play, right? Only this time, the impact caused a spark, and the spark set off a blaze that eventually covered 25 acres, according to the Steven Buck, General Manager of Shady Canyon Golf Course, and required the efforts of 150 Orange County firefighters, writes the Associated Press.
Wow. And I felt bad the time I shanked a ball through the window of a house too close to the fairway. That was nothing compared to this!
The golfer's name is being withheld, which is probably for the best, and no charges are going to be filed. Fortunately, it all could have been much worse. As it was, the blaze required both helicopters and on-the-ground crews.
The conditions were ripe for a blaze, with dry brush from a recent heat wave just waiting for the right spark. Like, say, one caused by metal on rock.
And now, your turn. This is going to inspire a raft of bad Sportscenter-esque "When we say he set the course on fire, he really set the course on fire!" jokes. So let's get ahead of the curve. Best bad golf-and-fire-related pun in the comments wins a round of applause. Go!
Photo credit: Thanks to Zach Bates

Golfer's swing sparks 25-acre California blaze - Devil Ball Golf - Golf - Yahoo! Sports

Years ago I was playing Willow Park golf course in Castro Valley, CA and somebody hit a drive that missed the fairway. He used a titanium fairwood to hit his 2nd shot and made contact with a stone that caused a spark and ignited a small brush fire.

Fortunately, the fire was put out quickly and didn't get big.

A similar thing happened to me at my course in Reno about 6 years ago. A guy was using a titanium Callaway club and punched it out of the native area and poof, a tiny spark and a little "cute" fire that suddenly burned up about three acres of desert grasses. Good thing the area was locked by road and green grass!!! This fire was much more severe.

There was a course outside London where a member set fire to this big patch of gorse. On purpose. He couldn't make the carry so thought he would sort it out the only way he knew how. Fire.

So, I was coaching at a girls HS golf match this past week and the opposing coach told me about this...apparantly, she was caddying for her husband during a club tournament and they were on the course when this happened. Don't worry...its multiple 6 figures to join Shady Canyon CC, even in this economy, so I'm sure the grounds will be fixed within a few weeks....LOL

joep

New
Hey Jim I also heard they wouldnt reveal the name of the golfer. But I know who it was its stephanie "sparks" who was using her "burner".......................

Status
Not open for further replies.