Golf Swing (updated video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it might be beneficial to post some video of me actually hitting some range balls. Open to all feedback and suggestions (but wishing that a Manzella Academy member would provide some insight.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngo1S4gX6Y[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9b-O6tzHp4&feature=channel[/media]

P.S. sorry for the wind noise (it was blowing about 40km/h) but I wanted to get this done as we are likely getting 2 inches of snow tomorrow

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I thought it might be beneficial to post some video of me actually hitting some range balls. Open to all feedback and suggestions (but wishing that a Manzella Academy member would provide some insight.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngo1S4gX6Y[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9b-O6tzHp4&feature=channel[/media]

P.S. sorry for the wind noise (it was blowing about 40km/h) but I wanted to get this done as we are likely getting 2 inches of snow tomorrow

What is the ball doing?

I have been struggling with big hooks with all clubs as of late. Don't hit my driver very high.

Last night I rewatched NHA, and in this filming session was focusing on up the wall, down the wall. Ball flight seemed pretty straight, but to be honest it was difficult to tell given the 40km/h left to right cross wind.

Here is a swing of mine prior to watching NHA (unfortunately, I am not hitting an actual ball).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AngxlQybLeQ[/media]

You laid down the club for alignment purposes. Your apparent foot line relative to that club is closed. In your case, aimed left. Looks like are also aligned closed with your upper body. (On second look, shoulder alignment is not closed.)

Is that on purpose? Could be one of you contributing issues.

Last edited:
You laid down the club for alignment purposes. Your apparent foot line relative to that club is closed. In your case, aimed left. Looks like are also aligned closed with your upper body.

Is that on purpose? Could be one of you contributing issues.

My foot line being closed to the club is on purpose. I find by doing this, I am able to get a little better turn, given my poor flexibility. Brian suggests dropping the rear foot back slightly in NHA "in some circumstances", so I thought I would continue with it.

With regards to closed upper body, this isn't intentional at all.

Burner

New
My foot line being closed to the club is on purpose. I find by doing this, I am able to get a little better turn, given my poor flexibility. Brian suggests dropping the rear foot back slightly in NHA "in some circumstances", so I thought I would continue with it.

With regards to closed upper body, this isn't intentional at all.

If anything, you are not closed across your shoulder line - parallax excepted.

You motion is very handsy. You are moving your arms ahead of your body coil. Downswing has a hit it with rear hand look.

Evidence. In the post with the two videos, look at the face on view.
At 0.13 look at the insignia on your lead hand glove. At 0.15 look at what has changed. You rolled your wrists inside and have to have fanned the clubface wide open. Your shoulders have not moved. A couple of frames later that clubhead is moving inside bigtime. This combination of moves could easily explain the big hooks and low drives. You have to time the squaring of the face from way open to square. Not very repeatable.

There is also something going on with your grip. Video is fuzzy, but it looks like your trailing hand in on there way too weak. The thumb on that hand looks like it is over on the lead side of the shaft. Looks like this is allowing the grip to be unstable in the backswing.

Food for thought.

footwedge

Any suggestions on areas for improvement?

You have big time pop out. You need a lagging club take away. That's just to start. I think your throwing the club from the top trying to get width as your way inside and narrow on the b.s. could be a result from the pop out on the take away. Just my 2 cents.

Where are all those die hard Rider fans? Can't be too cold for them on the driving range, that's a nice day in Sask.:D

Last edited:
Okay, to summarize I need to work on the following ?
a) Lagging clubhead takeaway
b) Reduce "pop-out"
c) Wider back swing
d) Check grip especially trailing hand

Of Brian's video's which one or ones do you suggest I review first?

P.S. The die hard Rider fans should have been on the range, because as I type this there is now 2 inches of snow on the ground, freezing rain and 90 km/h winds.

footwedge, where are you from?

Last edited:
Okay, did a quick site search on "popout". My searches revealed that some popout with a NHA2 pattern is likely/common, due to the "up the wall" backswing componenet. In these swing videos I was focusing on "up the wall" and the NHA pattern. The ball flight seemed relatively straight. Should I be concerned about the popout in my swing?

Thanks everyone for the advice and Brian for the confirmation. Once the snow clears again, I am back on the range.

Jay

footwedge

Okay, to summarize I need to work on the following ?
a) Lagging clubhead takeaway
b) Reduce "pop-out"
c) Wider back swing
d) Check grip especially trailing hand

Of Brian's video's which one or ones do you suggest I review first?

P.S. The die hard Rider fans should have been on the range, because as I type this there is now 2 inches of snow on the ground, freezing rain and 90 km/h winds.

footwedge, where are you from?

That's a summer day in the Peg. Your not going to like this, i'm from Blue Bomber land. Or you might, as they suck latetly. Ha Ha!

Last edited:

westy

New
Ball goes left.

Face is shut + HSP is left = tilty D-Plane.
Nice day.
make it cut into that breeze and you have it made......:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.