Good friend's son shot 57 in State Junior today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile CC
~6700 yds par 71
Bobby Wyatt (will be joining Alabama golf team this fall as a freshman) shot 26-31=57
12 birdies 1 eagle and 5 pars

That's flat out golfing your ball.

That is awesome. Love it.

Man, it would have been fun to watch that exhibition. I once caddied for a student in the US Jr. Am qualifier. We were paired with a phenom and while the kid didn't shoot 57 (he shot 68), it was one of the tidiest ball striking rounds I have ever seen. Purina; on the center stripe all day. I don't remember him missing a green. The kid was 14 and from Korea; James Myoung or something like that...

Bobby Wyatt...I'll remember that name.

Ooof! Skills to pay the bills.

I've had a couple of goes for 29s for nine holes (birdie putts I've missed), but generally followed that up or preceded it with some distinctly average stuff on the other nine. Eighteen holes is a long way!

I've also shot 32 for nine holes in a match (with gimmes) and been three down.

3 day event, and he's 125 for the first 2 rounds - just an 8 shot lead.:eek:

The article said he's won this 16-18 year old for 3 straight years.

Is it me, or have there been more crazy low scores this year, all over golf, than usual? Wasn't the new groove rule supposed to make scoring MORE difficult?!?

Amazing stuff.

Bobby did win - birdied the last hole to shoot 1 under and won by 6.

Today was his birthday.

He has won this tournament 4 years in a row.

I think his future coach, Jay Seawell, will really help Bobby reach his potential.

Should be fun to watch.

I saw that on the news, that is crazy low. I think guys have to have a great swing an really be mentally strong to shoot that kind of score. Other day, I was 1 over for 12, and all of a sudden, I start thinking, damn, I'm not that good. Sure enough, double bogey on the next hole.

Kevin,

I walked with Bobby's mom during the Southern Am here the week before the USGA Junior and he was undergoing a swing change that had been implemented the week before the Southern Am. He missed the cut but showed flashes of what the future might hold. The Junior in Michigan was the following week and the kid from Argentina, Fernandez, I think beat him here in the Junior in 2008.

Bobby has always had the talent and the will to win (this was his 4th straight State junior title and he has won his age division 7 times - basically he won every time he played in the tournament - since peewee).

My previous comment alludes to comments from his dad in that Bobby would benefit from the structure that Seawell's program will provide. Seawell is not his swing coach. Bobby is a lot like his dad - a hell of a guy and and somewhat of a free spirit and if he keeps his mind on what he's doing (which I think he has shown us he is very capable of doing!) the sky's the limit.

We need to keep our eyes out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.