Good iron craft or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it ever be considered good iron craft to hit up on a ball on a tee to get height for stopping power on the green? Or, is such an intention a miss-conception of hackers?

Just my opinion. I think it is the same thing that many, many, many golfers do from the fairway with irons. The difference is
that it's on a tee and usually teed too high. Result is less distance and less spin. See it all the time in our Seniors
League, but not with the better players.

Just my opinion. I think it is the same thing that many, many, many golfers do from the fairway with irons. The difference is
that it's on a tee and usually teed too high. Result is less distance and less spin. See it all the time in our Seniors
League, but not with the better players.

Softie, Thanks for sharing. This leans toward confirming my suspicion that even given today's vast supply of enlightened gofl instruction this up-hit intention is more ubiquitous than one would think. One has to wonder why that would be.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If i'm teeing off with an iron, i'll try and hit up slightly to reduce spin and deloft as much as i can to essentially reduce spin loft to get my "stinger." Note that you need enough swing speed to get the ball out there.

If i'm teeing off with an iron, i'll try and hit up slightly to reduce spin and deloft as much as i can to essentially reduce spin loft to get my "stinger." Note that you need enough swing speed to get the ball out there.

Jim, this would be on a par 4 or 5, not on a par 3 ... no?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Correct; if you want to get a ball to stop faster on a par 3 you need a very steep descent angle. Like a giant rainbow; so you don't need to swing harder (that creates more spin) you need the right iron and put it further up in your stance so you launch it higher and should come down steeper. For tiny greens i'll employ that method

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim I'm sure you are but I think this advice will cause more bad shots than good this weekend!

LOL try it on the range first folks!

Another good "feel" or drill that Brian taught me years ago was to grab a short iron and pretend you had to hit it over a very large tree and you were stuck behind the tree by say 20-30 yards. What would you do?

Move the ball up in your stance (create more loft/launch angle)
Setup with more axis tilt
Keep more axis tilt through the ball
More weight on right foot

Do all the above and i promise you, you too can hit MOON BALLS with any iron.

This is how I play most par 3s. It kills the spin and stops the ball dead. My shots end up within a foot of the pitch mark. You are controlling the ball with trajectory instead of spin, just as you have to do out of rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.