Good luck Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
To me, Chris was one of a few obvious choices....He is currently working with an ex-Foley student, Jamie Lovemark, an ex-S&Ter, Aaron Baddeley, and a big former handle dragger, Trevor Immelmann. In my opinion, Tiger would probably like to get back to the swing mechanics that served him well in the 2000/Tiger Slam era, and on tour, Chris is the guy who is having some success in moving players from Tiger 2013-like toward Tiger 2000-like.

It's been a funny week listening to all of the so-called reporting, peanut gallery stuff, and the 100's of phone calls and texts among guys in the group.

Chris sounds like he is doing fine to me. Very calm.

I'm getting old but I thought I remember Tiger playing pretty well when Butch was his instructor. Like winning the US Open by 15 shots well. I wasn't asking as a dig at the new guy just curious. I never heard what happened between Tiger and Butch to cause the split. Silly me I thought Tiger played (and swung) pretty well back when Butch was his coach. But if you think my question warrants a "geez" then I guess I missed something. Sorry.

Why would he?

Geez.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have ZERO personal problems with Butch. He has always been nice to me. He has a very good record with his players that play well. And has sort of been teflon with the players who went the other way.

Tiger WAS NOT swing the club EXACTLY like Butch wanted him to in 2000.

Tiger was still getting the club on the forearm on the downswing on many shots. Butch like higher.

That was basically the undoing. Butch would tell Tiger that his right shot was from "getting stuck"—code for the "elbow plane"
Hank let him—heck encouraged him—back to the elbow plane and for a while. They were rolling.

Poor Hank tried to get the WHOLE HANEY METHOD in, and Tiger was popping up 3-woods.

Chris will do fine. Butchie, Hank, and Foles all had their run.

Let Chris have his.

Thanks Brian. This is information that I could not get most anywhere else and I appreciate you taking the time to answer in such detail. I honestly meant no disrespect to Chris.

I have ZERO personal problems with Butch. He has always been nice to me. He has a very good record with his players that play well. And has sort of been teflon with the players who went the other way.

Tiger WAS NOT swing the club EXACTLY like Butch wanted him to in 2000.

Tiger was still getting the club on the forearm on the downswing on many shots. Butch like higher.

That was basically the undoing. Butch would tell Tiger that his right shot was from "getting stuck"—code for the "elbow plane"
Hank let him—heck encouraged him—back to the elbow plane and for a while. They were rolling.

Poor Hank tried to get the WHOLE HANEY METHOD in, and Tiger was popping up 3-woods.

Chris will do fine. Butchie, Hank, and Foles all had their run.

Let Chris have his.

Ok, does Tiger officially have the chip yips? Dude you've been playing golf all your life. You can't get it within' 10ft of the hole on a pitch because you're between patterns?

ZAP

New
When i had them I was lucky to hit the green sometimes. It's an awful feeling. Basically if you miss a green you're making bogey or worse.

Frank Nobilo made the best point on the telecast yesterday while Brandel was making up stuff about "pseudo-science". Nobilo said that Butch got the young Tiger, Haney got the experienced Tiger, Foley got the injured Tiger, Chris Como got what's left.

What did you think of Rocco Mediate's comments on Feherty Live about guys who have "read about how to play" not being the right choice of coach for TW? I think there may be something to it, quite simply because the mindset is so different.

I think Tiger is not the brightest, and I think CC is probably very bright. Butch was more at Tiger's intellectual level, possibly even "socially" similar, and had "played" which may explain why their relationship was successful, despite Butch's obvious lack of technical knowledge.

Is there one single great player in the history of golf who has EVER been really into "science and theories"? I doubt it.

I have never known a "player" who didn't feel more comfortable in the pub/at the bar than on the university campus!

hue

New
What did you think of Rocco Mediate's comments on Feherty Live about guys who have "read about how to play" not being the right choice of coach for TW? I think there may be something to it, quite simply because the mindset is so different.

I think Tiger is not the brightest, and I think CC is probably very bright. Butch was more at Tiger's intellectual level, possibly even "socially" similar, and had "played" which may explain why their relationship was successful, despite Butch's obvious lack of technical knowledge.

Is there one single great player in the history of golf who has EVER been really into "science and theories"? I doubt it.

I have never known a "player" who didn't feel more comfortable in the pub/at the bar than on the university campus!
Here is the link

Feherty Live: Rocco Media talks Tiger Woods' golf swing | Golf Channel

Rocco's comments about Chris Como are really harsh and must really hurt. I hope he turns things round and sticks those comments down Rocco's throat. Tiger really seems to have lost it and no longer has his magic.
I think there may be something in what Nobilo said that Butch got the young Tiger, Haney got the experienced Tiger, Foley got the injured Tiger, Chris Como got what's left.

Leroy

New
Rocco giving Tiger advice is like a .225 career hitter giving Wade Boggs advice on hitting. I think that it is human nature to have an opinion but he has been making personal attacks on Tigers teachers. Rocco claims he would go to Lee Trevino for advice- well how has that worked out for him? No matter how this turns out (David Duvall comes to mind) people should respect his decisions on his career- I think that 79 wins and 14 majors gives him that right.

Butch absolutely got THE MOST CONFIDENT Tiger. Everyone else got Tiger with one more chink in his armor.

Here is the link

Feherty Live: Rocco Media talks Tiger Woods' golf swing | Golf Channel

Rocco's comments about Chris Como are really harsh and must really hurt. I hope he turns things round and sticks those comments down Rocco's throat. Tiger really seems to have lost it and no longer has his magic.
I think there may be something in what Nobilo said that Butch got the young Tiger, Haney got the experienced Tiger, Foley got the injured Tiger, Chris Como got what's left.

Status
Not open for further replies.