Grape Busting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had followed the Caedus thread and, to be honest, didn't really think it warranted discussion or comment. I had seen Brian play previously and knew what he was capable of scoring on a golf course. The whole thread contributed more heat than illumination on the issues Brian was trying to raise.

About three weeks ago I had the pleasure of playing with Brian on a classic Donald Ross design track in the western suburbs of Chicago, playing at about 6800 yards. He hadn't played in a while and the front nine looked a bit ragged but the minute we hit the turn, he began throwing darts. I teased him about "finding Jesus" but he told me he was just concentrating on some thoughts that Aaron Zick had on timing force across the shaft. Three birdies and a bogey on the back (due to some untidy putting) for two under on the back. What was impressive about it, however, was the quality of his shots into the green. While distance from the pin varied, everything on the back was hit no more than 4 or 5 feet to either side of the flag. Lots of fun to watch.

I contribute this only to say it wouldn't matter to me if Brian couldn't hit the ball out of a phone booth. What's of interest to me is the information being shared by Brian and a lot other professionals here in this forum. Pick any of the "Top 25" and no one talks about what kind of game they have. The only question is: "Are they good teachers?" While reasonable minds can, and should, disagree as to the answer to that question, nobody should dispute that the central inquiry should be whether the instructor can make me a better player.

But for what it's worth, I've seen him and he can play.

It really doesn't matter to me.

If a guy was playing and practicing all of the time and couldn't break par on a decent 140 slope, then I'd look elsewhere because if he is playing and practicing all of the time and can't teach himself, how is he going to teach me?

But, most instructors I've met just don't have the time to play and practice...so really what I want to know is can they teach or not and what do they know.

3JACK

The fact that Brian plays competitively with limited practice time speaks volumes about his character and that he lives in the real world. I suspect that most instructors wouldn't even consider playing because it might bruise their golfing ego. I prefer instructors who've played at a competitive level because they tend to understand how hard it is to execute under pressure.

He singlehandedly saved my game with his Never Hook Again video and I'm eventually going to find a way to hook up with him for a lesson. He "keeps it real" which is rare in such a politically sensitive world that hates hearing the truth or searching for the truth.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Brian has some carry and alot of pulling. He downarches the wrist to make up for it, but sometimes still works under it late. If he applies force across the shaft at the right time, he can hit it really really crisp and accurately.

I don't think being a great player is necessary to be a great teacher, but I think there are some extra benefits if you are. I think you can get a lot more into coaching tournament players if you have prepared and competed in some high level tournaments yourself.

Coaching high level players can involve a lot more: tournament preparation, course management, daily routines, nutrition/hydration, etc... These are the "little" things that even a well-informed, good quality driving range pro may not be able to help with as much as a guy that plays (and competes) in several multi-day tournaments a year.

I don't think being a great player is necessary to be a great teacher, but I think there are some extra benefits if you are. I think you can get a lot more into coaching tournament players if you have prepared and competed in some high level tournaments yourself.

Coaching high level players can involve a lot more: tournament preparation, course management, daily routines, nutrition/hydration, etc... These are the "little" things that even a well-informed, good quality driving range pro may not be able to help with as much as a guy that plays (and competes) in several multi-day tournaments a year.

I second that, some people hit it great because it works for them. LIke Brian said before, every player should have their own custom game.

Status
Not open for further replies.