Graphite In Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts?

Brand suggestions?

Gaining ("negative") shock absorption and club distance sounds good to me.

Feel?

Dunno.

I don't want real real lightweight or anything, I don't think.

if you need shock absorption try insert in steel shafts, these are better in shock absorption then graphite shafts.

If you go lighter then your current shafts then you might indeed get more clubhead speed but it might also come at the cost of consistancy.

Maybe you could visit a clubfitter owning a Launchmonitor :D

Last edited:
IMO, a top quality graphite shaft is "better" than steel. They are as consistent, less taxing on joints, provide good feedback, and come in a wider variety of bend profiles. Basically all the benefits that we get from graphite wood shafts (vs steel) are now being incorporated into iron shafts. However, the one major deterrent is cost. $40-$80 per shaft vs $10-$30.

At the beginning of the year, I reluctantly made the switch. A good bit of testing revealed that the stereotypical knocks against graphite don't really exist in the better shafts. Having played them for almost a year now, I can't see going back to steel. I'm a higher swing speed/stronger player and haven't seen any of the bad effects typically associated with graphite iron shafts.

Agreed but the OP question was about schock absorption and more clubhead speed with lighter shafts.

It's the weight of the shaft that might create the inconsistancy NOT the quality of graphite as such. :D

Sensicord a-like inserts in steel shafts creates a good schock absorption for around 1-2us$ each. And if I can believe feedback from users those inserts do work well.

Last edited:
I sort of agree with mgranato, but there's a lot of possible issues with graphite in irons and if you pay to get those resolved, it usually means you have to pay extra money.

Typically graphite shafts are longer because the shaft is lighter ans they are trying to add weight to the club. But with longer shafts you're likely to hit the ball higher and perhaps too high (Personally I feel those who can control traj. the best usually wind up being the best iron players). Also, the effective lie angle becomes more upright, something I'm not a fan of because I think it gets a golfer to have VSP too steep in the end.

There are ways around that. You could add more weight into the clubhead so the shaft doesn't have to be so long. Although that will greatly increase the swingweight and to even it out you would have to add weight up by the grip end.

Power has its place in irons, but accuracy, consistency and distance control should come first. I'm not completely anti-graphite, but that's what I would consider before doing it and I think it costs a lot of money to experiment with that to get the right club. Plus, how many major championship winners have won with graphite in their iron shafts?

YR

Cost/benefit looks a hard sell to me. I think there's enough of a premium on clubhead speed in the longer clubs to make it borderline worthwhile in hybrids, but harder to justify in higher lofted shorter irons.

I've got steel Ping Cushin shafts with a vibration dampening insert that seems to work very well in terms of feel.

That said, doesn't Terry the Eidolon Wedge guy and oobgolf blogger rave about the V2s in his irons?

Status
Not open for further replies.