Great lesson with Damon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my 1st lesson with Damon today - awesome... and eye opening! Lets just say I have 1st hand experience now of feel vs. real!

1st off, I am about an 18 hc. My main miss lately with the irons has been a pull or a fattie. I hit a cut with my driver, sometimes if I don't set up correctly that can be a small slice. If the hole is too tight to hit a cut, I get into some trouble. Somehow that cut can become a big pull hook. If the hole calls for a draw, well, I'll be hitting a hybrid:D The good things were that my weight transfer was pretty good, and my grip & set-up were good. I have a quick tempo, and have tried to slow it down before, but it just ain't me:eek: I told Damon this and he had didn't see a big issue with it. I always thought my swing was too steep, so I had worked on "flattening" it. I have a very short backswing, ( back issues, and I'm battling a shoulder problem, plus I'm pretty broad across the shoulders and chest ) so I think people took that as upright, when maybe it really wasn't. As Damon pointed out though, I was actually way too inside on my takeaway. And my finish was horrible. Never realized how high my hands were, and where the butt end of the club pointed to. That's gonna take me some time to get sorted out. The real epiphany was when I asked him to help me hit my 4 wood better. He watched me hit a few, then stood maybe 10 yards away and to the left. He told me to hit the shot and finish at him, ( swing left ) and mentioned Brian's "Follow the yellow brick road" thought. I then realized I probably have never really had my hips open at impact? What a different, powerful feeling! Next thing you know, I'm hitting my 4 wood crisp, clean and further than ever.

Basically, Damon said most of my problems are club path issues - and now I have the tools to hopefully fix them, at least somewhat! After the lesson was over, I realized my 45 min lesson had went on well over an hour 1:20 minutes!

Damon is a class act, funny and a great instructor - I will be going back!

I have a quick tempo, and have tried to slow it down before, but it just ain't me:eek:

I am the same way. It ain't me as far as I can tell.

I don't mind when people mention it and I do expect that they will...but this is one of those things that it seems people like to harp on.

I could hit you if you harp too much on my tempo!

BTW good to hear you had a great lesson.

I am working on the hips too. (to adjust my path mostly)

Thanks Birdie man!

I am hitting the ball much better at the range for the most part, but am really struggling to take it to the course. I think I just have too many thoughts in my head, and I know I can't play well like that. My driving is what is killing me for the most part. I think it's because I am not "swinging left" enough with the driver for some reason. I plan on seeing Damon soon, and playing that Presidential course before it gets too cold! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.