Great players with: head still in middle of feet . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont even see why this is an issue i think most people agree that a good golf swing turns around the spine so unless you have zero axis tilt the head is gonna move some, the big thing is keeping that spine steady and trying to keep the same amount of torso tilt #2 thoruoghout the swing

bantamben2 said:
i dont even see why this is an issue i think most people agree that a good golf swing turns around the spine so unless you have zero axis tilt the head is gonna move some, the big thing is keeping that spine steady and trying to keep the same amount of torso tilt #2 thoruoghout the swing

I agree! The issue is some people think head in the middle of the feet throughout is the best way to swing.

Matt

bantamben2 said:

Not so in all procedures, to wit, Payne Stewart, Ben Hogan, Colin Montgomery, and Mike Austin among a host of others, in various degrees: the C-7 bone in the back is the center of a pendulum tilt of the spine from right to left. The TOP of that is steady or close to it: the bottom moves sideways and around. THAT --the bottom of it -- moves from the right hip (where it was at the end of the backswing pivot) to the left hip - so that the tilt of the spine is NOT constant at all. it is not a "revolving door" action around a fixed hinge; it is a PENDULUM MOVING HINGE hung on the C-7 center which in addition to moving sideways also turns.

If you don't have a copy of Joe Dante's "Four Magic Moves" you are missing a GREAT visual of that motion; he shows a view looking at the golfer's back where that pivot motion is dramatically clear.

It is how the power of the legs and gravity acting on the center of mass of the body of the golfer AND on his upper body gets to his arms = through the shoulders.

Pendulum motion

Perfect Impact said:
.. it is a PENDULUM MOVING HINGE hung on the C-7 center which in addition to moving sideways also turns.....

George, I'm visualizing the left shoulder and hip moving down through the back swing and up again through the forward swing, as a result of this pendulum motion. Is that correct?

Yes- the two shoulders, spine and two hips are as it were a frame that hinges around the spot halfway between the two shoulders at the spine. The bottom of the frame moving sideways causes the shoulders to rock up and down, carrrying the arms with them, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.