Grip strength vs forward lean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, another question :)

I've been experimenting with grip strength recently. I've read elsewhere that "most people don't get enough forward lean due to a weak grip". I've had mixed results with different grips, something weak seems to favour a more consistent shot shape for me (I think)..

Before I commit to sticking it out with a weaker grip, is there any inherent advantage in the stronger grip when it comes to contact? I.e. is it true that a stronger grip promotes shaft lean?

Edit: Um, I know this is all relative - if it helps the theory was with a weaker grip you'd have to stand the shaft up at impact to square the face...

Last edited:
Yes, hands rotated more rightward promotes a delayed release, less Spinloft. This is because the range of motion of left wrist bend which would allow the shaft to unhinge past the left arm becomes reduced. This is why strong-grip players like Trevino and Azinger tend to be low- launchers. While weak grip players like Nicklaus tend to be high-launchers. In Stan Utley's short game book, he says that if you have a strong grip, you'll hit lower shots, and if you have a weak grip, you'll hit higher shots. He doesn't explain why, but its because of how the hands-to-plane angle affects the release . Couple this benefit with the ease of squaring the clubface to the plane for the slicer, and its easy to see why I put flipper/slicers into the "Bobby Jones" grip. Hands rotated 45* rightward of the vertical clubface. Although I tend to think of it as a more "natural" or "neutral" grip, since when the left arm hangs at your side, the left wrist will naturally rest 45* inward, rightward from vertical.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Typically, if you play strong gripped, to hit it even remotely where you want it you have to create a lot of forward lean to help counter how closed you *may* be when at impact. Similarly with a weaker grip you don't need as much lean and thus will deliver some more loft.

HOWEVER

it's never "all the time" but i would say most of the time. but as an example, with me, unless i play with a super strong grip i always launch the ball high due to other factors.

Thanks dear for providing this information about the Grip strength vs forward lean.
Your description is very helpful for the beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.