Grip styles and different releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why is it easier for me to close the clubface in the downswing with a more nuetral grip versus a stronger grip?
If I go with a strong grip I really have to work hard to close the clubface in the downswing. It is like I instinctivley know the ball will hook to much so I resist clubface/forearm rotation.With a more nuetral grip I feel alot more free in the clubface rotation.Does this sound correct or is there something deeper I am missing?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
more neutral grip generally equals more opening/closing and a stronger grip equals LESS opening/closing.

So if you are someone who likes to feel a lot of opening/closing a strong grip really isn't for you.

natep

New
The same thing happens to me. If I grip it too strong I'm scared to death to turn it over and can end up leaving it open.

The same thing happens to me. If I grip it too strong I'm scared to death to turn it over and can end up leaving it open.

I have been told the greatest feeling to an amateur who has played with a strong grip for so long is when they realize they can release more freely with a neutral grip.

more neutral grip generally equals more opening/closing and a stronger grip equals LESS opening/closing.

So if you are someone who likes to feel a lot of opening/closing a strong grip really isn't for you.

If you were to look at most better drawers of the golf ball what would you say are most grips going to look like and why?

S

SteveT

Would it be also correct to say that those with an upright, somewhat sliding downswing posture should favor a weaker grip ... while those with active hip action and almost reverse-C backward spinal tilting swings should use a stronger grip?

Different 'body releases' require different grip styles.

ej20

New
So why is it easier for me to close the clubface in the downswing with a more nuetral grip versus a stronger grip?
If I go with a strong grip I really have to work hard to close the clubface in the downswing. It is like I instinctivley know the ball will hook to much so I resist clubface/forearm rotation.With a more nuetral grip I feel alot more free in the clubface rotation.Does this sound correct or is there something deeper I am missing?

It makes perfect sense.You can close the clubface on the downswing without fear of hooking with a weak or neutral grip.With a strong grip you have to hold off the rotation otherwise you will hook it of the face of the Earth.

ej20

New

I agree.Players who like to feel a lot of rotation are the ones that have what I call rotational skills and strong grips are not for them.

What I am trying to factor in is.. What is better for a fade player vs draw player. Or slicer vs hooker for that matter. Generally of course as I believe all is individual to some sense.Would It actually be better for a slicer to have closer to a neutral/laid off back swing(Since its easier to close the face?) Or do you want the back swing where its already more closed IE. stronger grip/across the line.

dbl

New
I think NSA advocates a Manzella neutral grip.

S2S, why the method questions? Coming up with your own methodology? :)

Personally I can slice with any kind of grip, and I can hook it with any kind of grip. So I'm not sure where this is going...

I think NSA advocates a Manzella neutral grip.

S2S, why the method questions? Coming up with your own methodology? :)

Personally I can slice with any kind of grip, and I can hook it with any kind of grip. So I'm not sure where this is going...

Not really method questions, I'm just trying to understand WHY a stronger grip and more across the line back swing almost creates an open club face going through the shot for me and vice versus.I have heard for years certain instructors try and eliminate slices with "strong" grips.Just curious to see what the thoughts are on "slicer" grips vs. "drawer" grips in GENERAL. 0 to do with method EVERYTHING to do with information.

dbl

New
Well I still don't think generalities are a dead lock cinch. For example, the SD pattern uses across the line at the top for the draw. Likely to help path near impact.

Not really method questions, I'm just trying to understand WHY a stronger grip and more across the line back swing almost creates an open club face going through the shot for me and vice versus.I have heard for years certain instructors try and eliminate slices with "strong" grips.Just curious to see what the thoughts are on "slicer" grips vs. "drawer" grips in GENERAL. 0 to do with method EVERYTHING to do with information.

hey s2s i think you answered your own question, its your subconsious kicking in, nothing more nothing less. i was intrigued why a laid off position is easier to close the face, i would have thought the opposite due to less forearm rotation.

Last edited:
Is it subconscious? Or is it mechanical as the fact that the strong grip across the line position has already put the forearm rotation close to the limit already and leaves not much left to rotate the face closed on the way down?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Is it subconscious? Or is it mechanical as the fact that the strong grip across the line position has already put the forearm rotation close to the limit already and leaves not much left to rotate the face closed on the way down?

i don't think mechanical is the right word, probably more anatomical. Stronger grips and across the line keeps the left arm rotation from rotating as much and thus since it didn't open as much it won't need to close as much.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If you have an outward handpath on the downswing, use a strong grip.

If your hands move downward, inward and left, use a more neutral grip.

A lot depends on what the loading action is at the top. If the player cocks and bends the left wrist, then it is a different action that only cocking. Others don't cock the left wrist at the top, but it cocks on the downswing. All would be contributing factors to the rotational feeling of the player in addition to the grip strength. Some like an "off plane/on plane" action from layed off(swiveled) to onplane then swiveled on release.

Aura

New
Is that because an outward hand path will delay closing or promote reverse tumble and a downward, inward and left hand path will promote earlier tumble?

Would it be also correct to say that those with an upright, somewhat sliding downswing posture should favor a weaker grip ... while those with active hip action and almost reverse-C backward spinal tilting swings should use a stronger grip?

Different 'body releases' require different grip styles.

I would say it is usually the other way around. Grip positions will determine type of "body action". Of course there are always exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.