Grip the club first then aim the club face or aim the club face first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using Earnie Els setup routine and it has been working great.
I've always had a bad problem of reaching across my body with the right hand when gripping the club and it gets my spine tilt out of whack if that makes sense.

hp12c

New
Im supposed aim the clubface?:confused: Crap! no wonder Im a double digit capper! I tried that and it felt too stifling for me. I just grip the club and make sure my toe is pointing straight up when I grip and hold the club out in front me. I then get on the side of the ball look at target look at ball and then enleash hell on that little ball, well depending on the shot maybe just a little hell. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Im supposed aim the clubface?:confused: Crap! no wonder Im a double digit capper! I tried that and it felt too stifling for me. I just grip the club and make sure my toe is pointing straight up when I grip and hold the club out in front me. I then get on the side of the ball look at target look at ball and then enleash hell on that little ball, well depending on the shot maybe just a little hell. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

I'm the exact opposite. Gripping the club first feels stifling to me (great description of the feel). I aim the face first, then I align my body while looking at the target; this procedure seems to keep me from lining up closed, which used to be a big problem.

I don't know about anybody, but I can't stand looking at a square or close club face at setup.

That's just asking for a hook!

Slightly open at setup, it also helps me promote a better back swing.

I don't know about anybody, but I can't stand looking at a square or close club face at setup.

Open (or at least what looks open) for me, too. Not for hooks, necessarily, but it definitely helps with my contact and it shallows me out. Dunno why.

Ive been using Earnie Els setup routine and it has been working great.
I've always had a bad problem of reaching across my body with the right hand when gripping the club and it gets my spine tilt out of whack if that makes sense.

Interesting, never seen (or noticed) him using the club like a kickstand before. Looks like he's putting some downward pressure on the shaft while the club is sitting behind the ball.

Burner

New
You must pay attention to the detail!

Man, you will never be able to play a lick until you learn to waggle your arse like Ernie as you address the ball. :eek: :confused: :eek:

hp12c

New
Geez! aim the clubface and waggle? whatever that is! cant I just spank the ball wihthout all this stuff. next thing youall will say I gotta pace off yards or something.:cool:

I dont see any downward pressure being applied to the shaft.. I see him getting perfectly balanced while his right hand is off the club . Then he brings it under to grip the club so he stays perfectly balanced.

Geez! aim the clubface and waggle? whatever that is! cant I just spank the ball wihthout all this stuff. next thing youall will say I gotta pace off yards or something.:cool:

In my opinion you should really develop a pre shot routine. It takes so much pressure off of the rest of your game. Example.. You shoot 77 yesterday and are striking the ball beautiful.. You go play a round Today and you are hitting it like crap and shoot 90

If your preshot routine and setup was exactly the same every shot you eliminate 80% of the reasons why you are hitting it like crap today. So know you know it's probably your tempo or something else along those lines..

hp12c

New

Hey J Im the opposite. For me its square to a slight closed face at adress. Apply a little TA with some WRU and watch a nice straight to a slight fade most of the time. What I see with the guys I play with or those that join when there is only 2 of us playing. Open faces at address in varying degrees and then more open on the BS and they/I cannot square the clubface at contact so .... what happens? a slice in varying degrees.

PS TA= Twista Away WRU= Wedding Ring Up

hp12c

New
In my opinion you should really develop a pre shot routine. It takes so much pressure off of the rest of your game. Example.. You shoot 77 yesterday and are striking the ball beautiful.. You go play a round Today and you are hitting it like crap and shoot 90

If your preshot routine and setup was exactly the same every shot you eliminate 80% of the reasons why you are hitting it like crap today. So know you know it's probably your tempo or something else along those lines..

Hey pokerlife I do have a routine, its just not like Ernie Els routine. Its hp12c's routine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.