Had my first ever Trackman experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a chance to hit some balls at a Trackman facility today.

Given previous back and neck problems I am swinging pretty good at the moment in my own eyes and have been working hard with an instructor local to me.

My average numbers were

6 iron Averages

Speed 87.8mph (87.7, 87.2, 87.9, 88.5)
Attack angle -1.1 (-1.4, -0.4, -1.7, -1.0)
Club path -1.1 (-2.4, -2, -0.5,-0.6)
Vertical Swing plane 56.3 (56.6, 60.3, 55.7, 52.7)
Horizontal swing plane -1.8 (-3.3, -2.2, -1.6, -0.2)
Dynamic Loft 23.6 (23.2,22.7,23.4,25)
Face angle 0.0 (-0.9, -1.2, 0.5, 1.5)
Horizontal Launch (-1.3, -1.3, 0.3, 1.4)
Spin Axis (-1.8, 0.7, 0.1, 2.4)
Max height 35.9yrds, 33.1, 34, 38.5
Side (Yrds) 8L 4.4L 3L 6.5R
Distance 162.4 159.9 162 162.5

I don't expect much in the way of freebies, but would appreciate any feedback on those numbers from anyone trackman literate ;)

I have been playing well, no real bad shots on course other than occasional pull, fat and push/fade

Thanks guys

The discussions have been great of late and i'm looking forward to seeing how things progress

looks good welsh. pretty darn good clubface control and consistent path.

hsp is a little "left" for the amount of "down," hence the occasional "pull" with the face square (shot #1) or "push fade" when you leave the face open (shot #4)

vsp seems a little on the low side...not 100% sure - what is the lie angle on your 6 iron?

also, i wonder if you get a little "flippy" because you don't hit down very much, and your shots have a max height on the high side, and you don't carry it all that far for the amount of clubhead speed generated. someone with more experience could probably tell by looking at your dynamic loft and vertical launch angles...do you have the vertical launch angles?

Yes, looks good.

Nothing crazy. Your face average was 0* and your path average was -1.1, so that will likely result in a veyr tiny fade most of the time, practically straight. The first one you hit a draw, but you probably hit it a bit off the toe since you had a fade swing on it. Probably hit it a bit on the high side as your -1.1* attack angle is a bit shallow (Tour average is around -4*).

3JACK

Interesting stuff - thanks for sharing Welsh.

Especially interesting as my numbers are very similiar.

I am wondering if moving the ball back a touch - thereby giving a little more down (nearer tour average) and a little less left path (more zero'd) help here?

Pros and cons?

What is your usually ball position Welsh? With a 6-iron mine would be just a touch forward of centre

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I wouldve liked to know what, if anything, felt different about the second shot? It had the best numbers, highest VSP with the least delivered loft. Earlier tumble with no shaft backup?

Apparently you didnt like the slight straight pull because you low VSP'd the next two and undercut sliced them both.

Not bad numbers....but based on what I see here I would suspect slightly weak grip or slightly open face issue. The face just being slightly open is a big deal!

I wouldve liked to know what, if anything, felt different about the second shot? It had the best numbers, highest VSP with the least delivered loft. Earlier tumble with no shaft backup?

Apparently you didnt like the slight straight pull because you low VSP'd the next two and undercut sliced them both.

Thanks for the input everyone, what do you mean by eariler tumble with no shaft backup Kevin?

Thanks again guys

G

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
To me, if you had one swing with a higher VSP and a better face/path relationship, lower ball flight, etc, you may have "tipped" or tumbled, or squared the club up earlier, allowing you to swing freely through it. If not, and it stayed open longer, you usually have to kinda swipe it low left to play it and the cuts and fats might creep up into your game.

That made me laugh, in a good way. Kevin - did you come into golf from a background in forensic science?

your shots have a max height on the high side, and you don't carry it all that far for the amount of clubhead speed generated. someone with more experience could probably tell by looking at your dynamic loft and vertical launch angles...do you have the vertical launch angles?

am I way off here but shouldnt a 88mph swing speed produce better than 162 yards in carry?

no you're not alone...but could be wind/weather conditions too
Interesting stuff - thanks for sharing Welsh.

Especially interesting as my numbers are very similiar.

I am wondering if moving the ball back a touch - thereby giving a little more down (nearer tour average) and a little less left path (more zero'd) help here?

kevin,

do you ever teach more down to zero out, or just keep the level strike and work with the hsp?

To me, if you had one swing with a higher VSP and a better face/path relationship, lower ball flight, etc, you may have "tipped" or tumbled, or squared the club up earlier, allowing you to swing freely through it. If not, and it stayed open longer, you usually have to kinda swipe it low left to play it and the cuts and fats might creep up into your game.

this is a very nice observation kevin. is it relatively common for a golfer to alter their swing this much after seeing a ball flight they didn't like?

also, when you get a chance, will you look and see what your dynamic loft is for a 6 iron and 3 iron?

thanks

Yikes, missed out some data. I had to video the data with my phone as they couldn't print it out at that time. Bit of a faff but found the extra data on the 6 iron.

Vertical Launch(deg) 18.3, 18.6, 18.8, 20.2
Launch spin 5063(bit blurred so can't see exactly), 4719, 5293, 5819
Smash Factor 1.36, 1.33, 1.33, 1.37
Carry 160.9, 159.6, 160.4, 161.3
Total 164.9, 166.2, 166.1, 165.1
Land Angle 54.9, 53.4, 53.2, 55.4
Time Flat 6.2, 5.97, 6.08, 6.35

Does that extra info help?

I hope to spend more time hitting balls on Trackman and get to learn the numbers and what they mean. Thank you again for the info so far.

I hope to be able to get a file/printout for a session of shots next time, and to go through the bag.

Irons were Vega cavity/muscle back with True Temper Black Gold Stiff shafts

Haven't checked lofts and lies for about 3 months but they were 2' Flat lie from standard

I had a driver fitting done with a Taylor Made R9 Tri. Ended up with a voodoo shaft that gave the following average numbers

Ball Speed 152.5
Vertical Launch 11.5
Launch Spin 2464
Smash Factor 1.47
Carry 235.2, total 263.1
Land Angle 35.8
Clubhead Speed 103.2
Attack angle 2.5
Club Path -0.6
VSP 45.4
HSP 1.9
Dyn Loft 12.9
Face Angle 0.0
Horiz Launch -0.1
Spin Axis -8.8
Max Height 26yrds
Side -11.9
Side Total -14.1

Conditions were cold, about 14 degrees Celsius, using Taylor Made Range Balls.

Hope this helps

Thanks again for taking the time

G

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
no you're not alone...but could be wind/weather conditions too

kevin,

do you ever teach more down to zero out, or just keep the level strike and work with the hsp?

It depends (Bill McKinney?;))

If a levelish strike was producing the proper dynamic loft, I might try to isolate the HSP. I rarely teach more down for the sake of zeroing out even though it might end up that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.