Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it supposed to be a collection of the best of the best, or something else?

I do not see how 15 wins (1 major) puts you in the elite of the elite of the sport. As a comparison, Furyk has 16 wins (1 major) and only got 8% of the vote compared to Couples' 51%. It's supposed to take 65% and at least 10 wins or 2 majors to get in.

Does Couples have a HofF resume? Does Furyk? Does Pavin (also 15 wins with 1 major)?

I don't know how the golf hall of fame works - but I do remember hearing an interview with a band who said they'd turned down their nomination for some rock hall of fame because, once the pleasantries were out of the way, it turned out that to accept was going to cost them a small fortune. I think halls of fame are businesses - and every business needs its new autumn line. But sometimes the well runs a little dry.

That said, I like all 3 candidates , though for different reasons. For perspective, look at things in Europe. Our "big 5" were Seve, Faldo, Langer, Lyle and Woosnam. Only 2 candidates with more than 2 majors - but each had a reasonable claim to have been playing the best golf in the world at the height of their career.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Is it supposed to be a collection of the best of the best, or something else?

I do not see how 15 wins (1 major) puts you in the elite of the elite of the sport. As a comparison, Furyk has 16 wins (1 major) and only got 8% of the vote compared to Couples' 51%. It's supposed to take 65% and at least 10 wins or 2 majors to get in.

Does Couples have a HofF resume? Does Furyk? Does Pavin (also 15 wins with 1 major)?

Yes and yes.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Three majors and zero others.

10 wins and two majors.

12 wins and one major.

15 wins no majors.

Does anybody realize how many players have played on the PGA Tour??

I agree with the Manzellion here. You have to be an incredible golfer to be a household name amongst the golfing public. And all of those guys are - they're famous, so they should get into the Hall.

Baseball and football add 5-6 players a year. Golf should be doing the same thing. I am sure there are more golfers worldwide than football players. A few years ago they talked about 20 wins or 15 and a couple of majors. If they didn't come down from these numbers, there would be very few players getting in. Pavin, Furyk, Montgomerie, Toms will all get in.

ZAP

New
I never really understood the whole Hall of Fame deal. I always wonder if it really matters to some players.

I don't think it matters to the really great ones, (Jordan, Gretztky, Mays, Woods) It's the borderline guys that cry like babies when they get in. I find it amusing that they get so emotional, when it's writers who vote them in. I'm sure that otherwise they have very little respect for what the writers think.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Couples is a first ballot Hall of Famer. 2 Players Championships, a Masters win. Undoubtedly the best player in the world at one point. Represented USA in four straight World Cup wins. Many Ryder Cup And Presidents Cup moments. A constant presence and fan favorite (this counts in the HOF smell test). Brought excitement to the game while being one of those rare players who sold tickets just by being in the event.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't think it matters to the really great ones, (Jordan, Gretztky, Mays, Woods) It's the borderline guys that cry like babies when they get in. I find it amusing that they get so emotional, when it's writers who vote them in. I'm sure that otherwise they have very little respect for what the writers think.

I definitely disagree with this but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Couples is a first ballot Hall of Famer. 2 Players Championships, a Masters win. Undoubtedly the best player in the world at one point. Represented USA in four straight World Cup wins. Many Ryder Cup And Presidents Cup moments. A constant presence and fan favorite (this counts in the HOF smell test). Brought excitement to the game while being one of those rare players who sold tickets just by being in the event.
That's your man crush, bro. You don't have to sugar coat it.

He's mine, too. I wore a Bridgestone hat today to go with my spikeless shoes.

That's the problem with setting a standard for getting entrance. Every player should be judged according to their era, not the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.