"Hand Control" - Specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Twistaway, as taught in Never Slice Again.

2. Screwdriver-like turning open of the left wrist.

3. Anyone observe that there is something in between these two? Not sure exactly how to explain it. It would be something more like "cock the club straight up towards your face and then turn" drill.

In TGM terms:

1. Single Left Wrist Action.

2. Standard LWA.

3. Single LWA without an Arch?, and perhaps with a Bend?

And...

Is it possible that doing it this way could tend towards later releases, and/or more angle? (loading)

I no longer (thanks to Brian) try for more loading or a later release btw...

Just never could figure out how some of these players do it. (close it up with such angles) Looking for possible answers...

Players who look like they could possibly do "3.", MAYBE (I really don't know):

Els, Garcia, Fowler, Ryan Moore, Faldo, Price?, Clarke?...

Brian, or anyone, any ideas?? Perhaps the 3D machines can tell us. (precise measurements)

I am now (as I write in real time) tossing this one out there into the forum...

**toss**

Last edited:
I'm a huge believer in educating the hands to strike shots consistently.

I think there is both the mechanics of good hand action and the feel of good hand action. The sensation the club puts in the hands when it resists changing direction (lag pressure), whether scientific or not, plays a big part in how I hit shots. The anticipation of that feeling and how I apply it is a big part of my intention when I'm playing golf. The mechanics of wrist conditions, whether flat/cupped/bowed is basically club face control. My preference is to flatten things out given a neutral grip position. Most golfers should spend time educating their hands. Trouble is, they don't know how to do it!

"Twist Away" has been a huge addition to my arsenal since learning how Brian applies it. I've fixed "a few" slicers since;)

Last edited:
By far my favourite posting style on this board...birdieman (no offense Brian).

:) Thanks mj. I am a goof. A "props", I **toss** you to **catch.**

Brian is the best!

My preference is to flatten things out given a neutral grip position.

What do you mean Martin?

Most golfers should spend time educating their hands. Trouble is, they don't know how to do it!

For sure. When I was an open clubface flipper trying to figure it out with the mags, etc, there just wasn't enough help out there.

Just about anything I tried was not gonna cut it, without fixing a way too open clubface first.

Ya gotta know how to use the hands!, and (effectiely) align the wrists!

"Twist Away" has been a huge addition to my arsenal since learning how Brian applies it. I've fixed "a few" slicers since;)

I still use it sometimes for right to left shots, or certain short game shots.

Last edited:
Just wanted to emphasize that I use Brian's Twistaway for right to left shots. Edited above post. Definitely not a fader move. (as taught in NSA...i.e. "pure Twistaway" in the backswing)

And...

Brian...any point to having a slicer use a strong grip with NSA/Twistaway? Or is that overkill? (or something else)

I never truly understood "educated hands" from the TGM perspective. I was not al that aware of pressure point and such. The only one I felt was #1 pressure point, so I am a hitter, right?!!

I am a bit tumble-crazy at the present moment! But, I am sensing #3 pressure point for the first time, as well as #2 pressure point. When I do I feel my hands...when I start attempting to "get on through to the other side" of my hands. I feel the last three fingers of my left hand that the index finger of my right hand. who would have thunk it.

In a sense my swing is more "hands" than ever before. By that I mean I can feel 'em doing something or at least that are registering what is being done.

I think Duval would be an example of a twistaway (backswing) fader, although he doesn't really have that full swivel release...

:) Thanks mj. I am a goof. A "props", I **toss** you to **catch.**

Brian is the best!

What do you mean Martin?

For sure. When I was an open clubface flipper trying to figure it out with the mags, etc, there just wasn't enough help out there.

Just about anything I tried was not gonna cut it, without fixing a way too open clubface first.

Ya gotta know how to use the hands!, and (effectiely) align the wrists!

I still use it sometimes for right to left shots, or certain short game shots.

At some point a golfer needs to assemble some hand/wrist alignments to hit good shots. You can do it on the backswing or the downswing. My preference is to feel like the assembly happens before the transition.

In general, golfing nation has very little idea what their forearms and hands are doing and how the face relates. There lies the benefit of learning hand/forearm relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.