Hand Path Changes Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any stories on how their practice sessions or game in general has changed due to having a consistant repeatable hand path?

My practice has been much more productive since making hand path my focus. Starting to really understand how to get the forward lean with a shallow angle of attack.

lia41985

Had a breakthrough getting full ulnar deviation and really swinging the arms across the body. Luke Donald is my hero!

My biggest breakthrough lately has been getting my hands lower than a snakes balls, but then just as importantly where the hands end up at the lowest point (under the bowtie).

I don't know about other folks, but I have to feel like I fall into my left side slightly before the downswing and keep my back to the target to tug/pull the shaft out of the ground properly (thereby obtaining a better hand path). If I don't use my lower body the tug/pull is worthless for me. It's very, very difficult now for me to hit a hook (unless my body, as opposed to my hands, does something crazy or I toe a driver). By not hitting down as much my path doesn't go to the right as much.

When I want to hook a ball I definitely handle drag.

JJKing

New
I am a bit mystified about how to work on handpath. Can anyone give me some advice, drills, etc? It sounds to me to be a better way to get consistency in ballstriking.

What does a proper hand path look/feel like?

I am a bit mystified about how to work on handpath. Can anyone give me some advice, drills, etc? It sounds to me to be a better way to get consistency in ballstriking.

I'll try to convey my feel:

From the down the line view, the hands work vertically down from the top of the backswing so that the left arm is or near vertical when the golf club is at last parallel. It literally feels like your hands are going into your right rear pocket(for a righty) to start the downswing, then like you are trying to hit your testicles(for males) with the butt end of the club into and through impact.

Not sure about drills, but getting the hands a little behind me then low and keeping them low while approaching impact a noticable path starts to develop which in real time seems like an eternity if your used to just going straight at the ball. It seems like you can pretty much watch your hands travel along the path and then exit left when it's time. This is the hand path I'm becoming aware of and the reason I started the thread. Still new to me and like all swing feels/thoughts I will probably over due it eventually, but so far so good.

Of course what your doing with your hands and arms along that path is another story.

JJKing

New
Thanks. That helps a lot. I have been playing around with it. Downswing seems a lot slower that when my hands go right at the ball.

Burner

New
Is your right hand still a bit strong?

Gets plenty of exercise!
images

Circular as opposed to straight and narrow
Thanks Kevin, not sure how I never thought of it this way, but I was hitting some of the nicest high draws and controlled hooks by swinging right and keeping the hand path more circular. When I swung right before who knows what direction my hands ended up going.

Status
Not open for further replies.