Hand Path "feel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggle terribly with high fades that go up and balloon as I am so steep into the ball.

I have experimented with various feels in a desperate attempt to swing inside out with a shallow approach to create a push draw shot shape but nothing seems to stick.

I often go off into a daydream to think of new feels that may help me and my latest thought I want to try when I next hit the range on Sunday is to feel the sensation of my hands dropping vertically when they initiate the downswing almost as though I would be throwing the club through my right foot. Literally feeling like my hands are moving straight down therefore keeping left arm close to chest for longer into downswing.

Has anyone tried this feel in order to change their hand path to create a shallow inside to out swing path and had any success or otherwise?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I struggle terribly with high fades that go up and balloon as I am so steep into the ball.

I have experimented with various feels in a desperate attempt to swing inside out with a shallow approach to create a push draw shot shape but nothing seems to stick.

I often go off into a daydream to think of new feels that may help me and my latest thought I want to try when I next hit the range on Sunday is to feel the sensation of my hands dropping vertically when they initiate the downswing almost as though I would be throwing the club through my right foot. Literally feeling like my hands are moving straight down therefore keeping left arm close to chest for longer into downswing.

Has anyone tried this feel in order to change their hand path to create a shallow inside to out swing path and had any success or otherwise?

Sounds like you don't have any hip slide creating next to little side bend through impact. I gave someone else this drill in a different thread:

See if you can hit a wedge shot with only a 3/4 backswing and only a 3/4 follow through without letting your right foot get off the ground. Ball flight should be a slight draw. If you are inflexible, allow the right foot to come up slightly but try to limit it. Also it's really important to only do 3/4 back and through, the idea is to learn how to get your hips moving forward and side bend through impact which will shallow you out.

Sounds like you don't have any hip slide creating next to little side bend through impact. I gave someone else this drill in a different thread:

See if you can hit a wedge shot with only a 3/4 backswing and only a 3/4 follow through without letting your right foot get off the ground. Ball flight should be a slight draw. If you are inflexible, allow the right foot to come up slightly but try to limit it. Also it's really important to only do 3/4 back and through, the idea is to learn how to get your hips moving forward and side bend through impact which will shallow you out.

Gonna try this.

Nothing will ever get it going unless you use your legs properly. The hips have to go first, and they probably won't if you aren't getting the backswing correctly. I can't get this shot going at all unless I turn into the inside of my right foot and feel everything tighten up. That makes my legs go before everything else and I kinda feel like I push off my right foot. Try hitting balls with a golf ball under the outside of your right foot and swing through feeling like you're leaving the club way behind and open and exiting very low and left. The face has to be open to hit the push draw. No turning it over. If it turns closed, it will pull hook in an instant. The more inside, the more it will draw. You're going to hit pushes. But it has to push first before it can become a push draw.

Last edited:
"Replacing the left arm", is about handpath. Counterfall and Tumble are at least partially related to handpath. All these can be seen best from the down the line veiw. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.