Hand size and grip style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me what affect hand size has on grip style (overlap, double overlap, interlock, etc)? I've read that it does, but don't recall ever having read why it does? Why are big hands better suited for overlapping grips? Is there a real reason, besides tradition?

natep

New
I've just always heard that interlock was better for players with smallish hands or short fingers, like Jack.

Dariusz J.

Because it is physically harder to overlap correctly with a short pinky (assuming short fingers means also short little fingers). Hogan, however, showed how to overlap the best way, i.e. not putting the pinky in the slot, but wrapping aroung the mid joint of the lead hand's index finger. In such case, fingers length is of no importance and everyone can use Vardon grip.

Cheers

I wear cadet medium gloves and I gripped it the way Dariusz described when I first started, after reading 5 Lessons. It became quite uncomfortable, to the point where the pinky joint on my right hand was becoming inflamed. My grip would slip at times holding it in this way, as well. I went to the interlock and have stuck with it. Much more comfortable, and I feel like my grip is more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.