Handicap vs. Expected Score Playing for Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you happened to get into a money game that was a bit too rich for your blood, how many more strokes would you need
than your official handicap to not get crushed? Let's say it's a 20 man game with a few ex-tour players, and some sharks
with single digit indexes.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If its too rich for your blood, id never play with A) guys you dont know and B) players with handicaps. If you do you deserve what you get.
IMHO.

If its too rich for your blood, id never play with A) guys you dont know and B) players with handicaps. If you do you deserve what you get.
IMHO.

+1

I don't understand the "how many more strokes" comment. If you feel you need "more" than what you are, you are in the wrong game with the wrong crowd. Don't be mad at your money.

Money game with ex tour players???

Are you an ex tour player?

If not, then stay away from these games man!

There may be some that out there making a living playing these types of games ;)

Reminds me of a game I heard about near me in Sunnigdale...

Guy who's a members guest for the day on the first tee agrees to 5 front 5 back and 5 on the match, plays great and he and partner win all 3.

Opposition dude says is a cheque ok? I don't carry that much cash and writes a cheque for £15,000.....

:cool:

If you have to ask about playing for money, don't do it....It's like poker....no matter how good you are there are better players and really good hustlers and cheats out there...

If you happened to get into a money game that was a bit too rich for your blood, how many more strokes would you need
than your official handicap to not get crushed? Let's say it's a 20 man game with a few ex-tour players, and some sharks
Sounds like the skins game I play. I only do it because it's only 20 bucks to play and the green fees for that course are twice that. Not to mention the 10 of us can just plow through the course in 3 hours. Can't ask for much more on a muni. Just don't expect to be winning anything.

I recall reading some USGA research and you have only a 20%-25% chance of playing to your handicap on a given round of golf. Good luck

Ok, no definitive answers still..let me re-phrase it: on average, how many strokes, if any, do you typically shoot over your average round on the same course with no real pressure? Is it about 4 shots higher?

on average, how many strokes over your average round are you on the same course with no pressure to help or hurt. this is like an SAT question.

I believe the answer is zero the way you have it worded

couldn't you take the average of your last few (or many) scores at that course or similar? that would be the best numerical estimate of your expected score. it would be higher than your handicap, which would be (unofficially) estimated by finding the average of only the top half of those scores.

this link has some good info and you might be able to find your answer.:

Sabermetric Research: A new golf handicapping system

Last edited:
on average, how many strokes over your average round are you on the same course with no pressure to help or hurt. this is like an SAT question.

I believe the answer is zero the way you have it worded
LOL. Sorry, that was a bit mucky. I think Brian is right (again) about the number and Kevin needs to be about a +6.

Status
Not open for further replies.