Hands forward at setup help with right elbow tuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was tinkering with my setup a bit and realized I wasn't setting my hands up forward as much as I used to. I started to hit some much better shots and it seemed to eliminate the push rights that had once again started to creep into my game. So I started to ponder why this might be and I realized that it helps me tremendously to achieve pitch elbow.

For my swing in particular, my right elbow tends to get to the side of my ribcage instead of in front of it. The result is that my hands struggle to get ahead of the golf ball for impact. I compensate for this frequently by making a forward lean of my spine. Then the rights really start to happen but if I don't lean then I start to hit some whopper hooks or even hit it fat.

I am curious if anyone else senses that pushing the hands forward at setup helps achieve pitch elbow?

Yes. Same here.

I find it easier to set the club on plane, with the right elbow in a better position, with more of traditional, inside left thigh hands, rather than mid-body.

With mid-body hands, the club tends to get away from me in the backswing and pushes the right elbow behind me too much.

The hands don't have to be very forward at all, just a little bit, or at least the feeling of it.

Then my right elbow can act like "fulcrum" in the backswing, at least that's the feeling, and then it doesn't get trapped on the downswing.

You said with mid-body hands the the right elbow gets too far behind you.
Maybe you are moving the arms too much and not just rotating the shoulders. A proper should turn with the thought just leaving the arms alone should put your arms right in front of your chest when the club is parallel in the take away. Could it be possible you are sucking the arms the back without the proper sequence of the shoulder turn?

Yes. Same here.

I find it easier to set the club on plane, with the right elbow in a better position, with more of traditional, inside left thigh hands, rather than mid-body.

With mid-body hands, the club tends to get away from me in the backswing and pushes the right elbow behind me too much.

The hands don't have to be very forward at all, just a little bit, or at least the feeling of it.

Then my right elbow can act like "fulcrum" in the backswing, at least that's the feeling, and then it doesn't get trapped on the downswing.

Would a "lagging clubhead takeaway" help?

No. In fact it exacerbates the problem for me. The idea is to position the right elbow more in front of the ribcage. Taking the handle away first only causes the right elbow to get even more to the side instead of out in front. This may not be a problem for some people, but for me it's a constant struggle.

Yes. Want to see my swing?

SwingAcademy.com

I figured you probably did. Take this with a grain of salt but it looks to me that your "lifting" in the backswing happens really late and that the hands forward probably gets the club up quicker. I know when I swing with a flat shoulder turn that I also tend to get too much around and not enough up. It looks like this might be making the sequencing of your swing tougher. If you are trying to get down to the EP the lift happens so late that when you shift your hips it is making it tough to get down enough and causes a little fit in move which usually opens the face (for me anyways).

I had tremendous difficulty getting into a pitch elbow position with a flat shoulder turn. Brian steepened my shoulder turn a lot and I find it much easier to get the hands forward even with mid-body hands at address. It really has been the missing equation. Hard to change, but when I feel the left shoulder go directly down to the left foot immediately in the swing, good things happen, I get a ton of right arm at impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.