Hank Haney DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a short story.

Yesterday, I show up to hit balls on our local public course shag area. There are just two of us. I hear instructions coming from the other guy's area. So after a while I allow my curious nature to go over and investigate.

The guy is listening to the above referenced DVD. He's a Senior, like me, and is clearly having no success. So we chatted and I asked him what he was working on specifically. He just said he couldn't stop slicing, and/or snap hooking. I asked whether he would let me work with him a little bit. He was all ears.

He was a long time golfer, but had quit for 15 years and was starting back into golf. So I showed him three things.

The first was to improve his left hand grip, but more importantly to get is right hand on there more in the fingers. He mentioned that Haney said to have it more in the palm. After some repetitive grip taking, he started to get it right. Immediately his swing speed improved and he was getting some better contact. Ball was still going right.

Next I asked him how he determined ball position. He didn't know how he did it. I explained what a difference it would make if he moved the ball at least to the center of his stance from where it was. He had it behind the center to varying degrees shot after shot. Moved it forward. Slices went away.
The guy is smiling from ear to ear.

Finally, reverse pivot. Showed him about axis tilt and how to pivot away from target as contrasted to toward the target. Early in the conversation he mentioned being frustrated because he was hitting line drives into greens. Couldn't hit it high enough to stop on the green. I swear within 10 minutes of showing him the pivot, he was doing it. Not well, but doing it.

The result was amazing. I was cheering him on. He began to hit nice crisp high 9 irons dead straight. He was in dis-belief. I warned him that he will have to practice and to go home and make notes. I also explained the "Method Instructor" thing, told him to loose the Haney DVD, wrote down the Manzella website address for him.

I used do a little dance instruction. That was satisfying when you helped someone breakout of their embarassment and actually start to get the hang of it. However, helping a struggling golfer change just a few things and watching their face when they, in this case, see improved results, beats the dance thing all to hell.

Face position OK? He was at the information saturation point. We stopped with the three changes and straight 9 irons.

Will he regress? My sense is that he will be able to retain the grip change, because he can see it, and he understood it. Ball position, more debatable.

Pivot change will be the hardest retain. When he did the Reverse Pivot instead of the new pivot, he had to ask me whether he done it right.

Hopefully, I will run into him again.

I find that the problem with most struggling golfers is they are doing exactly what they are trying to do. There is so much bad instruction out there that it is a wonder half of these people don't just get frustrated and quit.

Good for you. You sound like a natural teacher. And it's cool you asked him first instead of butting in like most people on the range love to do. Definitely a great feeling watching someone who wants to improve take your advice and see their face as they learn. Something magical about it for sure; that's why people always remember their great teachers, whether in sports, school, music, etc. Maybe you have a second career waiting for you when you leave the business world.

Good for you. You sound like a natural teacher. And it's cool you asked him first instead of butting in like most people on the range love to do. Definitely a great feeling watching someone who wants to improve take your advice and see their face as they learn. Something magical about it for sure; that's why people always remember their great teachers, whether in sports, school, music, etc. Maybe you have a second career waiting for you when you leave the business world.

Yea this reminds me of my range session yesterday. First chance I've had to hit balls since getting back from seeing Brian in New Orleans last week due to all the flooding we have had in MS and the same idiots from my club that were ridiculing me for paying for golf lessons came out on the range and started in about all my problems were due to this excessive pause at the top of my swing.
I did not ask for their help and they have no idea what I'm working on yet they feel the need to just butt right on in. I'm 39 years old and it's been a long time since I've wanted to slug someone but damn I'm about to lose it on these morons.

Frizit, I'm a pretty good ballstriker so range pros rarely tell me anything. But when one happens to stand behind me for too long, I'll pull out my "Tour Striker Pro" and ask them what they think of it and to have a swing with it. In case you didn't know, it is a golf club that requires precise impact alignments for a proper ball flight. If they hit ground balls with it, I find they usually move along rather quickly.

This particular experience on our little shag range was very good. Here's an ugly one.

I had this practice buddy. He moved away this past winter. He told me this story that happened to him last year. He was hitting balls minding his own business, and a two young guys from the local university show up. One of them notices the logo, Texas I think, on my friend's bag. The guy walks up and insists on talking about it. My friend tells him leave him alone and to go away. The guy gets angry and comes back with a club and acts like he is going attack.

Here's what the young punk doesn't know. My friend is a 50 year old lean, mean, muscular black guy. Retired Dallas Swat officer. He leans down to his bag and unzip's a flap exposing his badge and police revolver (he was working for the Campus Police) and asks "What you gonna do now s-bitch".

I would have loved to see their faces in retreat.

footwedge

This particular experience on our little shag range was very good. Here's an ugly one.

I had this practice buddy. He moved away this past winter. He told me this story that happened to him last year. He was hitting balls minding his own business, and a two young guys from the local university show up. One of them notices the logo, Texas I think, on my friend's bag. The guy walks up and insists on talking about it. My friend tells him leave him alone and to go away. The guy gets angry and comes back with a club and acts like he is going attack.

Here's what the young punk doesn't know. My friend is a 50 year old lean, mean, muscular black guy. Retired Dallas Swat officer. He leans down to his bag and unzip's a flap exposing his badge and police revolver (he was working for the Campus Police) and asks "What you gonna do now s-bitch".

I would have loved to see their faces in retreat.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.