hardpan lies

Status
Not open for further replies.
any tips for hard pan (or just tight lies in general) around the greens? my mid sole shots are pretty good, but i'm thinking these require more of a leading edge divot type shot.
besides being sure to stay above the plane, any other thoughts, tips, procedures, etc.?

thanks

Lose The Bounce

Whenever I have a super tight lie, I simply defeat the club/wedge's bounce at address by leaning the shaft foward until the leading edge of the club gets very close to the ground. Then, maintain this geometry as long as possible (through impact).

Tight Lies Part II

OK - let me expand on the previous answer.
Leaning the shaft gets rid of the bounce, but it also de-lofts the club. Opening the club face adds loft back, but it also exposes more bounce. This requires us to lean the shaft targetward to bring the leading edge close the ground again and that defeats the purpose of opening club face.
Here is alternative way to put more air under the ball than a de-lofted wedge otherwise allows. After leaning the shaft to get the leading edge near the ground, grip the club very weakly with your left hand. This will enable you to "work under it" with the opposite action you get from a really strong grip. Practice this a little. If done correctly, you will be amazed at how hard it is to hit the ball fat with this set up. You can impart a lot of spin with this set up as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.