Has the focus on power in the golf swing ruined our bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiger's back woes, Mickelson's pulled muscles and my own bad shoulder have made me wonder whether or not our quest for a swing that hits the ball 300 yards is ruining our tendons and muscles. After playing more golf last year than I have in the previous years, I started having left shoulder pain in November. Fast forward to April, an mri, two injections constant pain and being told I am unlikely to play golf for another six months and it made me think about 40 year old plus golfers and the swing. When a long course was 6800 yards and we hit persimmon woods with 43" inch steel shafts, I do not remember golfers having the physical issues you see now. Tiger Woods has a core that is incredibly strong and yet he blew out a disc. It used to be fat out of shape guys that did that playing golf. There were certain swings that caused back issues, a lot of leg drive, reverse c ..., but Tiger does not swing like that. Have we lengthened courses to the point where we need a golf swing that kills our body to compete?

I think that the average player (non pro) doesn't seem to worry about injury until they have one. I mean they are aware that injuries happen but still roll up to the tee and fire away without even the smallest of warm ups.
I certainly am of the opinion that everybody should have some sort of basic golf fitness program that they use in order to reduce the risk of injury, at the very least some warm up and stretching before and after a round.

I still agree with your point about the length of courses and the fact that players have (or want) to hit almost every shot as far as possible will have long term for their health and in particular their backs.

No matter what anyone says or thinks, to make a move like swinging a golf club at over 100 mph requires physical strength and effort. When you get uneven lies and turf interaction (club AND feet) as well, things are bound to happen that can screw it up. Take the club to the top, and jump as high as you can and swing the club through at the same time. You need your footing. Tiger is also getting older and still making passes at the ball like he's 20. Things will only get worse for him if he doesn't stop fighting Father Time.

This doesn't even touch on the fact we can move up a set of tees. Nobody is forcing us to play 6500+ yard courses when there is a 6000 yard one available.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Bad swings—or pretty good swings with some mismatched elements—make golfers make compensatory movements that and up hurting them.

Leroy

New
Are players really more injured today then yesterday? Just because tiger has a bad back doesn't mean everyone is getting hurt. It's even more ridiculous in my opinion that people think it's his workout reigning that is causing his injuries. Players are more athletic now - bigger, stronger, faster in every sport because training methods and diet is much more understood. Also I was listening to pga satellite radio a few months back and one of the guys commented that players abuse the medical exemption rule- meaning not many of them are really that hurt.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
There are just as many injuries with NON PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES as professional athletes in non-contact sports.

But Tiger's was at least somewhat because he uses LESS arms and MORE body than he used to, imo.

hp12c

New
There are just as many injuries with NON PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES as professional athletes in non-contact sports.

But Tiger's was at least somewhat because he uses LESS arms and MORE body than he used to, imo.

Hey Bmanz which of TW's swing did you like the best? Post video if possible.

JMO, but I think Tiger is heading down the wrong road with his current swing and NOT because of the results (wins).

I think he thinks he can play the game forever based on how well he keeps his body conditioned.

I think he SHOULD see that most of the guys who play for a LONG time competitively don't try to murder every shot. We've all seen the difference between range TW and course TW. I would like to see those super violent swings (maybe) come out after he has established a rhythm and has built some confidence that day ON the course first.

It is important to point out that we all have some sort of physical limitations. These physical limitations can lead to poor swing mechanics which will eventually lead to injuries. Most injuries in golf are from over use, which is why the PT trailers on the PGA tour are filled with players getting stretched out and warmed up properly. Just like any other sport there needs to be a general fitness plan in place to help minimize injuries and prolong the career of all golfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.