He never receives any credit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
way_i_play_3.jpg

I can't see the point! :confused: :eek:

I think he means that Colin Montgomerie never receives any credit, either as one of the greats of his generation or as a great ball-striker (he was both).

Shame he never won in the US or got a major. He seems like one of the more likeable and witty guys in person.

Ah there we go I see it now.

Ya I've got no problem with Monty....don't know why he gets the bad rap. Prolly he is just too easy to make fun of with the hair and name and Britishness.

Anyhoo......he won how many times on the Euro Tour.........no clue why he couldn't get it done on the PGA. You always hear them ("them?"....w/e) say he's one of the best strikers out there.

Last edited:
We appreciate him in UK...

Ok ..so some of his interviews can be a bit moaning... but if you ask anybody how their day was after a less than mediocre day at work ...you are going to get a few moans!

Unbeaten in Ryder cup singles.... went for several years hitting his irons ridiculously close to the pins ( that has to be a sign of quality striking)...although interestingly he never got on well with Hogan Apex blades...apparently... i seem to remember him having a very short lived Hogan contract few years back....

What irritated me was the stick he had to take when he played in the US.... he might have a Mrs. Doubtfire appearance, carrying a few pounds around his nipples etc.... but in the "land of the free "( to "go Large" and "supersize me")...well... pot...kettle...black etc!!

Trouble is ...if golf is a game of misses.... nad pro golf is a game of missed tournaments... he will be in the stats books as a "misser" but in the hearts as a really, really, reaallly GOOD player.

But in ranking the product... above Doug Sanders.... above Paul Lawrie ( and Paul was a lot better then many gave him credit for!!) above Bill Rogers.... but below alot of greats...

Burner

New
I think he means that Colin Montgomerie never receives any credit, either as one of the greats of his generation or as a great ball-striker (he was both).

Shame he never won in the US or got a major. He seems like one of the more likeable and witty guys in person.

Thanks, holeout.
If that is the point(s) that s-m is making then I whole heartedly agree.

Chris Sturgess

Monty is definitely not the greatest player of all time but I do give him credit for being the greatest swayer of all time. That and the Mrs. Doubtfire thing.

There are these things out there these days that are called jokes, check them out some time.

Ah, joking. I've heard it's all the rage these days. I'm not sure if it's joking or yoking, though, it may be a soft J.

I was just wondering where that comment came from was all. There are a lot of people who unnecessarily Monty-bash so it is hard to tell a "joke" from the real thing in this case.

Chris Sturgess

The title of the thread is about how he doesn't get credit so I was joking that I'd give him credit as the best swayer of all time, and that rhymes with player, that's all.

I think the reason people don't like Monty is because he is too uptight. In recent interviews he has seemed like an alright guy but in his younger days I remember him being really uptight about everything, a little bit like Judge Smails in Caddyshack.

In view of monty's rather suspect temprament and attitude, and the bad luck hes had in majors imagine what he could do if he had the mental approach of tiger woods or even nick faldo

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
His performance at the Ryder Cup solidified him as an all time performer for me. But his last hole at Winged Foot changed all that. That shot was right in his wheelhouse, soft fade with a mid iron. Total meltdown. Finishing that tourney off would have cemented his legacy.

C'mon! No one bashes Monty anymore (at least not in the US). Everyone here wants to see the guy win a major! Do you think we wanted to see Geoff Ogilvy back in to Mickelson's debacle?

He was an easy target at one point in his career. Now he's lovable Monty.

Best FULL RELEASE fade pattern of all time.

C'mon! No one bashes Monty anymore (at least not in the US). Everyone here wants to see the guy win a major! Do you think we wanted to see Geoff Ogilvy back in to Mickelson's debacle?

He was an easy target at one point in his career. Now he's lovable Monty.

Best FULL RELEASE fade pattern of all time.

Thats good to hear!! It will be intersting to see how his design business goes... he likes ( or his chief designer likes...) pot bunkers rather than the often seen sand belt style bunkers.... i think he has a good point here...more penalty...easier to maintain good sand and raking in small bunkers...

He is clever bloke...be interesting to see his development now.

Status
Not open for further replies.