Head lifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this little move I do as I yank the club back and it drives me nuts. I don't know if it's flexibility or what. Anyone have insight as to why I'm lifting up? On this swing it looks as if I settle into my right heel as I start but I don't know if people would agree. Help?

How would my takeaway be making room for throwaway? Don't understand. I don't feel like I lift at all and it pisses me off quite a bit. Often times it just comes out of nowhere. Thins and toe hits are my miss.

I've fought a very similar move and still fight it, especially with the driver. For me, it is a stand up throughout the downswing to fit the club in for a few reasons. The first thing I found was that I was standing the shaft up into impact and had a poor out hand path with premature right elbow straightening(throwaway). When working on a better hand path, I found it near impossible to get it unless I cleared the left hip more. I also needed to have a better set up which was to not bend at the hips as much or stand a little taller and drop the chin down more. I then use art's right hip bumpy back, but then also set the left hip by turning it out which essentially feels like spreading the pelvis apart. The backswing is then just a turn around the base of the neck/upper back. The downswing is still much a work in progress, but it starts with the hands working away from the target and down with the left hip/leg turning around sooner but leaving the right alone and only being pulled around(I don't even notice what the right hip is doing). At some point into the downswing I work the left shoulder up and back which allows the hand path to stay in close to the body. I have done pretty well with this and can actually get to impact with a bent right elbow and open hips, which is something I never could do before.

Sorry for the ramble, but hopefully some of this helps you out.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
How would my takeaway be making room for throwaway? Don't understand. I don't feel like I lift at all and it pisses me off quite a bit. Often times it just comes out of nowhere. Thins and toe hits are my miss.

I'd rather stand up somewhere so I didnt plow the club into the ground. It's a very common problem.

Well what im getting at is, assuming your fexibility and range of motion allow you to turn in the BS without lifting, you are doing it for a reason. Throwing the club away too early needs room. Some create that room in the baswing, some in the downswing. That MAY BE why you're standing up. Another possibility is a bad habit. I'm not being smart about it, but I mean that maybe the lift came first and youre throwing it away to match that? Chicken or the egg deal... In either case I think the two are related

I was working on releasing a bit later today (before I read any of this) and it helped a lot with the short irons and driver. Hitting down more I guess. Felt like I had to go down after it instead of away from it. Didn't record it so I don't know if I was diving into it on the backswing or just staying level, but it really helped the strikes. I think it is just a bad habit. Why would I do it with driver? I don't even like to hit the ground with my practice swings with driver. I rather like hitting driver off the deck or a super low tee. Love hitting knockdown driver.

what happens to impact when you don't lift your head?

seems like once you lift it, you keep it there for the rest of the swing.

maybe the problem is not so much the lifting at the start of the swing but the excessive lowering of your head as you set up at address that forces you to have to move it ...

Last edited:

lia41985

Your whole body shifts. Try turning into your right hip instead of (what appears to me to be) swaying. There's nothing wrong with a step on the right foot if it's something you need but you'd whack yourself with Ben Doyle's milk crate.

Last edited:
I fight a sway yea. Milk crate? Should I look that up? Not very versed in TGM. Haven't been playing but 2 years.

Last edited:
what happens to impact when you don't lift your head?

seems like once you lift it, you keep it there for the rest of the swing.

maybe the problem is not so much the lifting at the start of the swing but the excessive lowering of your head as you set up at address that forces you to have to move it ...
Honestly I don't know. I probably hit it pure. I never record when I'm hitting the ball well. Kind of depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.