Head Position in the swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I make my downswing I know that I have a tendency to slide forward a little bit thus moving my head forward. As you can imagine I tend to get an open clubface because my body has moved forward relative to the ball. The problem is when I try to keep my head back it feels like I am leaning backwards and I am in a little reverse C position. Is this normal and I have just been too far forward or could I be sliding my hips forward too much? If it helps any my tendency is to loose the ball left (I am left-handed). Please help me understand this and let me know what you all think or understand about head movement in the golf swing.

natep

New
Without seeing a video its hard to say.

In my opinion moving your head towards the target during downswing is generally something you should avoid.

My head actually moves away from the target as I go through impact.

Dariusz J.

When I make my downswing I know that I have a tendency to slide forward a little bit thus moving my head forward. As you can imagine I tend to get an open clubface because my body has moved forward relative to the ball. The problem is when I try to keep my head back it feels like I am leaning backwards and I am in a little reverse C position. Is this normal and I have just been too far forward or could I be sliding my hips forward too much? If it helps any my tendency is to loose the ball left (I am left-handed). Please help me understand this and let me know what you all think or understand about head movement in the golf swing.

Have you already checked your eye dominance ? RED players will tend subconsciously and naturally to have only the dominant eye behind the ball at impact while usually having both (or more) at set up. Slidinmg forward is inevitable then.

Cheers

Have you already checked your eye dominance ? RED players will tend subconsciously and naturally to have only the dominant eye behind the ball at impact while usually having both (or more) at set up. Slidinmg forward is inevitable then.

Cheers

If so, how do you fix that? I definitely am RED and do have problems staying behind the ball...

Dariusz J.

If so, how do you fix that? I definitely am RED and do have problems staying behind the ball...

I do not fix that. I just accept it as it is that cross eye dominance is superior in golf (or some other disciplines where the target is located sidewise). I do not try to fight it and e.g. to keep my head artificially behind the ball - heck knows how many hackers were told to do it over dead bodies and all the joy of playing decent golf was taken off them. If one's slide creates problems just because of RED I'd advice a more centralised pivot (done this myself with setting the rear hip joint higher and the diagonal stance). I feel much better now.
Having said that do not treat what I wrote as 100% scientific truth, it's just rather answers that I got thanks to my studies on biokinetics (validated somehow by ophtalmology expert opinion). Golfers would need true scientific researches on this topic soon, because contrary to the opinion of naysayers I believe the question of eyedness is more important than we could think.

Cheers

Lead eye dominant has generally been seen as a swing advantage in that you
can see the ball out of your lead eye even with some head rotation rearward. Nicklaus is a prime
example. If I'm not mistaken Palmer is the opposite.

I am RED too, but I am left-handed so my lead eye would be dominant.

Me too. Brian picked up on that in about 10 swings as I was able to stay more on top of the sweet spot with my head tilted toward the target. Head movement back seems to work better for me as I feel I am less likely to reverse pivot and work under it in the ds.

Status
Not open for further replies.