Healing Process

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya..........its worse sucking and trying to get better. If you can just accept that one is not good and then move on and have fun its not nearly as mentally taxing.

Whats worse is this is the only sport I could not get relatively good at if I tried hard.

Define "relatively good"

Better than most.....for example out of high school I lost some money playing pool to some buddies so for the next 6 months I played pool for for endless hours in a day, read everything I could, took lessons, etc, till I got pretty good, good enough to do ok in local tournaments.

Its a good question though because some would say relatively good would be someone like Kevin, but I would consider him an elite player, better than 99% of all golfers. Hope that makes some sense and answers your question.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
To me good is being able to break 80 any and all the time. In tournaments, on different courses from the tips. It's not "elite" but it's not embarrassing either, even playing with pros. Basically, a few times under par a year with most scores in the 74-77 range. Really about as good as an adult who picked up the game can hope to be.

To me good is being able to break 80 any and all the time. In tournaments, on different courses from the tips. It's not "elite" but it's not embarrassing either, even playing with pros. Basically, a few times under par a year with most scores in the 74-77 range. Really about as good as an adult who picked up the game can hope to be.

Like this. So would something around a 3-5 index or better be universally considered relatively good?

I am with Jared on this one. I just want to be able to break 80 any time I step on any of my 4-5 home courses. With that in mind go for the occasional 70 or 71 special round.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think that would be the baseline for a good player Mike. The caveat being that the 3-5 index is more of a tournament index.

As for the courses, sure, if your playing a 78.1/152 course all the time then breaking 80 would basically put you at scratch. Still I think breaking 80 is a reasonable goal for 99% of courses.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think that would be the baseline for a good player Mike. The caveat being that the 3-5 index is more of a tournament index.

As for the courses, sure, if your playing a 78.1/152 course all the time then breaking 80 would basically put you at scratch. Still I think breaking 80 is a reasonable goal for 99% of courses.

With average green speed and average slopes i'd agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.