Hello Forum......Help me say goodbye to pull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys ........

Wanted to share and ask and introduce myself all in one statement.
About 4 years ago I came upon TGM through my 1st teacher as a child. I had nt seen him in 10+ years, but a job brought me back to him. So I started working with him again and STUDYING TGM........ well after 3 long months of total rebuild...(only chipped 6 inch strokes for 2 weeks, about 300 per day)
I got down to a handy of 1-maybe 2.......well that fall I got beat in my clubs match play champ 2 up..I shot 69.........I was mentally devestated and put the clubs UP.for 3 years , hard to do since I am a golf course superintendent. Well here I am now about 6 weeks into hitting balls and practicing again.
It has been fun again I am playing to a 5.5-6 after the 3 year layoff.
I have many goals this year, the Memphis MID -AM is one of them as well as a few others.
So what I have noticed, here is the question.......I am pulling the ball BAD, and even when swing a straight ball it has a 10-15 yard hook to it. But back when I played REALLY GOOD G.O.L.F. I had a PERFECTLY executed 3 yard push. I have tried many things to get that striaght ball / 3 yard push back. I cant get it. About 2 weeks ago I really started to KILL the ball....and as TGM says "POWER GOLF IS GOOD GOLF!" With this pattern I "felt like what Sergio LOOKS like" IE...LOTS of downcock/"arrow from a quiver"/float loading. TOO BAD I DIDNT HAVE THE CAMERA THAT DAY!!! I also felt my hands were MUCH higher at the top than they are now. But I do not like MOVING my hands, I am a FIRM beliver that YOU DO NOT MOVE THE HANDS , RATHER, YOU ALLOW THEM TO BE MOVED.
Anywho....I HAVE to get rid of these pulls, I cant see it in my pattern, but in short it is killing me to the point where if I cant play good golf at a high level (to MY potetional) I assume NOT play.
So if anyone can help please do so because I cant get to New Orleans right now, though I plan on going out to see Ben this fall for a week. and hopefully make periodic trip to Brian.

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS......
Needham

I had the same problem, and what he told me was I had a closed clubhead at impact with an out to in swing...

Your clubface is too closed at impact for the path you are swinging on (out to in) thus it pulls. Find out why it's too closed and fix it, the fade will come back.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Well, i dont know if that will necessarily apply to this poster because i don't know if he has an out/in path. I knew you did dash because you used to play a fade.

needham...what do your divots look like?

Jim -------

funny funny you ask that. I was thinking about it and I forgot to tell you about my divots.
Pretty!!!!! That how I can describe them. Square and down the line. Straight to my target line.
Today for instance, I hit a few balls from say 1.5 inch tal grass to trace a longer divot plus it is really wet here so I knew I could trace LONG divots............they were coming SLIGHTLY from the inside....then sqaure then low point then I could actualy trace it going back inside ( all of that described action in 12 inches)
now moving back to standard tee height grass ..........sqaure....low point sqaure down the line (about 4-6 inches long)

MORE back story......... about 3 weeks ago I filmed myself knowing I could get this figured out. I noticed that from the top, my hands were getting a little "outside" on the way down. So I feel good about having the slightly over the top move FIXED, and having my shaft dropping back down to the elboe plane from the top. Or atleast I think so.

Needham,
It seems you are not pulling the ball due to an out-to-in swingpath (straight divots rather than pointing left)...so it must be a clubface angle at impact issue....I think maybe Jim will offer you a grip variation ....:)
Do a search on the clubface angle at impact threads...You can swing straight, or even in-to-out, but if the clubface is too closed to the swingpath the ball will appear to pull-hook to the left....remember the 20/80 rule...

You're hitting clubface pulls. Check your fundamentals:

Below are my swing keys for getting rid of my clubface pulls.

* Check clubface alignment. I set the clubface square at the target and then take my grip with the club in its address position.

* Check body alignments. You may just be aiming too far left.

* Check ball position. Could be too far forward.

* Check your foot flare. Hogan stance. Square that right foot and flare out the left toe at least a quarter turn.

* Combinations of the above. Hogan stance with the ball in the middle of your stance will cure a clubface pull with the irons 95% of the time.

* If still pulling after trying the above, it is time to "re-train" your release. Feel as if you are holding off the clubface through impact.

thanks guys. love the ideas......makes me think of other things as well.....

will do jim.......very interesting point you make.
also on another note I am trying to do what you are doing as well. I want to see how much I really can compete. I am 31 now ...............wish I would have never stopped in my teenage years..............so I am giving myself a 3 year time table......long enough to really work it out yet short enough where if it does not work I can move on

Jim.............

I had an AHHA! moment on the range just now.
I had strapped on the ipod and headed out with 2 buckets (short session)....
over my first ball I took noticed and thought about your grip thought you gave me in the above post.
THEN I NOTICED!!!!!!!!!! I didnt not have a #2 pressure point in my grip!!!!!! I have always thought of the #2 as the most important pressure point for the sole reason WITHOUT a TRUE #2 pressure point it is hard to have a TRUE #3 pressure point! Granted, I also weaked my right hand a tad, but I had a much better ball flight, and resumed to a straight flight as well. Divots looked better as well, as they got longer.
And the ball flight I speak of is the one where is takes off online and about half way to the apex the ball does a "gear shift" and BOOM it goes to the apex then falls from there.
Along with all of this......the feeling of "dwon-cock" also came back.

So long story, much shorter.........THANKS GUYS..............now I need make this last for 3 days so I can ingrain it and be natural again....

Needham

#2 is the last three fingers of the left (for righties) hand.

I tend to forget these as well, and sometimes mix them up with the 4 power accumulators. When I first started reading the forums I found it hard to find all the definitions and got lost in some of the old conversations so I'll put it in this post for people who search for it.

PP#1: Between the palm of right hand and left thumb.
PP#2: Last 3 fingers of the left hand.
PP#3: Trigger(Index) finger of right hand.
PP#4: Upper left arm against the chest.

These relate to the 4 power accumulators; you feel pressure on these points because of them. (Though I'm not sure about #3)

PA#1: Straightening of the right arm.
PA#2: Uncocking of the left wrist.
PA#3: Turning of the left arm.
PA#4: Throwing the left arm off the chest.

WHOOPS ..............MY BAD ...........I meant PP#1!!!!!!!!! the right thumb pad pushing on the left thumb.................

PP#1, Ah Ha... That makes more sense. That was driving me crazy for awhile there because the last three fingers of the left hand wasn't helping my pull situation at all. If anything it got worse. I will try some of the same adjustments and see what happens. I probably have some over the top in there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.