help for buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLayed with my friend today who is in the Air-force and is in great physical condition and just started golf..

This was one of the best shots he struck all day and just wanted to get some advice on his swing that might help a little

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If he could flatten that shaft with a little twist away I think he might get going before he gets into some really bad habits

If he could flatten that shaft with a little twist away I think he might get going before he gets into some really bad habits

If I understand twist away correctly it's a counter clockwise / counter rotation move. Wouldn't that steepen the shaft?

If you hold a club in your hands and move them in each direction, the clockwise rotation flattens the shaft and a counter rotation steepens the shaft.

Erik_K

New
If I understand twist away correctly it's a counter clockwise / counter rotation move. Wouldn't that steepen the shaft?

If you hold a club in your hands and move them in each direction, the clockwise rotation flattens the shaft and a counter rotation steepens the shaft.

You are twisting about the shaft which keeps the face shut at the top and if you maintain the twist, hopefully it stays shut in the downswing. Since the face is closed, you will need to make a concerted effort to alter the path.

I think technically since twistaway is a twist about the shaft, it wouldn't affect the location of the shaft. However, the intent to do so definitely could make someone steepen the shaft at different points in the swing.

I think technically since twistaway is a twist about the shaft, it wouldn't affect the location of the shaft. However, the intent to do so definitely could make someone steepen the shaft at different points in the swing.

Twistaway is counter rotating the shaft in order to help square the clubface. Hold a club up near your shoulder. Rotate your hands (twisting the shaft about itself) in a counter clockwise position like twistaway to close the face. Notice that the shaft steepens.

And if you rotate the shaft in a clockwise manner the shaft flattens.

So in order to flatten the shaft some other move to counter the steepening of twistaway would be needed. We agree on that.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Twist away does not steepen the shaft, it just rotates the shaft

Twist away to me is a name given to the relative shutting of the face by twisting about the shaft or applying Gamma Torque (negative or positive cant remember)

I cant see why this is confusing to some people.

take a club in the lead arm and hold it out in front of you so the shaft is inline with the arm. Applying Gamma torque when the wrists are in a state of Ulnar deviation like this will require a pronation / supinating movement - simple, watch your biceps muscle shorten and lengthen to accommodate this

Now take a club in the lead arm and hold it out in front of you with the shaft pointing vertically - representing the wrists at the top of the backswing, Radial Deviation, now this is the key part.. trying to apply Gamma using the same pronation / supination will steepen the shaft - but hang on this isn't technically applying gamma torque, it is using the same movement you applied in a different wrist position to achieve the same results, which it wont because the orientation of the shaft has changed and therefore a different move will be required to apply gamma torque.

So what move is required to apply gamma torque when the wrists are fully 'cocked? easy... palmar / dorsi flexion, i.e. bend the left wrist flatter or more bowed and right wrist more back and bent, watch your forearm muscles contract - different to pronation and supination.

Applying Gamma torque in different wrist positions requires DIFFERENT MUSCLES.

Last edited:
Twist away to me is a name given to the relative shutting of the face by twisting about the shaft or applying Gamma Torque (negative or positive cant remember)

I cant see why this is confusing to some people.

take a club in the lead arm and hold it out in front of you so the shaft is inline with the arm. Applying Gamma torque when the wrists are in a state of Ulnar deviation like this will require a pronation / supinating movement - simple, watch your biceps muscle shorten and lengthen to accommodate this

Now take a club in the lead arm and hold it out in front of you with the shaft pointing vertically - representing the wrists at the top of the backswing, Radial Deviation, now this is the key part.. trying to apply Gamma using the same pronation / supination will steepen the shaft - but hang on this isn't technically applying gamma torque, it is using the same movement you applied in a different wrist position to achieve the same results, which it wont because the orientation of the shaft has changed and therefore a different move will be required to apply gamma torque.

So what move is required to apply gamma torque when the wrists are fully 'cocked? easy... palmar / dorsi flexion, i.e. bend the left wrist flatter or more bowed and right wrist more back and bent, watch your forearm muscles contract - different to pronation and supination.

Applying Gamma torque in different wrist positions requires DIFFERENT MUSCLES.

Disagree.

Gamma is gamma (twist away); Beta is beta. They are independent of each other. Like Kevin said, applying twist away doesnt steepen (or flatten, for that matter) the shaft. Now, maybe golfers tend to steepen the shaft when they attempt the twistaway, but it's not because the twist away is a steepening move. They were probably steep anyway. I know that's always been my tendency.

Regardless, trying to flatten the shaft while applying the twist away has helped me lately. Thanks for the tip Kevin.

Disagree.

Gamma is gamma (twist away); Beta is beta. They are independent of each other. Like Kevin said, applying twist away doesnt steepen (or flatten, for that matter) the shaft. Now, maybe golfers tend to steepen the shaft when they attempt the twistaway, but it's not because the twist away is a steepening move. They were probably steep anyway. I know that's always been my tendency.

Regardless, trying to flatten the shaft while applying the twist away has helped me lately. Thanks for the tip Kevin.

You clearly have misunderstood my post. I am not saying gamma is not gamma and beta is not beta. I am saying that different muscles are required to apply gamma depending on the position of the wrists in particular with their state of deviation.

You clearly have misunderstood my post. I am not saying gamma is not gamma and beta is not beta. I am saying that different muscles are required to apply gamma depending on the position of the wrists in particular with their state of deviation.

Re-read your post. I indeed misunderstood it. I retract the "disagreed" part.

Hey guys another good friend of mine just started to play .. Played his first round last week.. Any advice you see that i may be missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.