Help Me Figure Out What Type Of Lob Wedge I Should Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, what shaft, the standard Traction steel shaft or ?

I feel my wallet vibrating slightly! Might want to get the zip grooves
while they last, which isn't much longer.

I wonder how long the zip groove will be in play. I play cleveland right now and like them, but may change to something else. Anyhoo...I know the PGA goes with the old groove next year, but amateurs have quite awhile until we have to change. Brian, How long will Cleveland sell the zip groove?

Incorrect. I checked the rules. New rules state that any club manufactured on or after January 1, 2010 must conform to the new groove rules. Anything manufactured prior to that date is legal for amateur use until a very long time in the future.

Incorrect. I checked the rules. New rules state that any club manufactured on or after January 1, 2010 must conform to the new groove rules. Anything manufactured prior to that date is legal for amateur use until a very long time in the future.

Really? I was unaware. Thanks, good to know.

That seems a bit odd.

I thought I heard that for non-elite amateurs, the conforming date is something like 2020.

Let's say that someone steals your clubs in 2013. So if you want to buy square groove irons like the rest of your playing partners, you can't buy new clubs, you'd have to go into the used market?

Your statement does sound familiar, but do you mind letting us know the source?

I think this is on the USGA site. I know I got the same information from a Tom Wishon newsletter.

The rule means that new clubs being MANUFACTURED after January 1 must conform. So if you want to play the old grooves you have to stock up now.

I did!

True but silly. Sounds like the USGA is being run by the NCAA with this logic. A normal amount of play will "wear out" a wedge within a year, so there basically making sure that everyone will be under the same umbrella after a year or two. TM's replaceable face wedges might make a lot of sense to keep the grooves fresh.

This may not be on-topic, but it's something I've thought about lately.

How many here have a SW and/or LW with the same shaft as the rest of their irons? If not, why not!!!!

I'm pretty much guilty as charged, but the more I think about it I just don't know why. Am I just lazy, stupid, or does it really not matter?

Seems funny the lengths we go to in order to get a driver dialed in with the perfect shaft (the least accurate club in the bag), yet when it comes to wedges we go from "Project X, GS1150, X100, S400, Apex 4, etc, etc, to............... "Wedge Shaft". Does it simply not matter what we put in our "scoring clubs?"

Am I missing something here? I'm trying to make the same swing and loading pattern (for the most part) as my 5-iron. Would I even think of having a 5-iron in an X100 and an 7-iron in a S300?

Robbo

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Rules.

It is true.

The last of teh great grooves will be manufactuered at the end of 2010, and then.....poof, that's all.

Ams don't need to worry for several years, unless you play in US OPEN and US AMs, so hoard your wedges now.

I use KBS Tour shafts, 5.5 in the irons (Cleveland CG7 Tour) * 54° wedge, and a 5.2 frequency in the 60°.

All my clubs are pured, and I think it matters.

Brian, IIRC, before Cleveland you were a Taylormade staffer? Did you get a chance to look at their new wedges with the removable faces? The rumor is they made/making a ton of these face inserts with their current 'Z' grooves and with the new compliant grooves allowing players to switch back and forth once the new rule takes effect.

My guess is ALL manufacturers will have some form of replaceable inserts in the wedges by mid 2010. I already know of 1 who isn't adverstising it yet.... didn't know TM was already out there with it.

I guess this means we'll see another version of TM wedges by March. ;)

My guess is ALL manufacturers will have some form of replaceable inserts in the wedges by mid 2010. I already know of 1 who isn't adverstising it yet.... didn't know TM was already out there with it.

I guess this means we'll see another version of TM wedges by March. ;)

Do tell, do tell - you aren't talking about this manufacturer are you?

Think TM will wait 'til March? :)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian, IIRC, before Cleveland you were a Taylormade staffer?

I wasn't treated the way I thought I should have been.

Crazy stuff these companies do.

I wasn't on anyone's staff for a long time, and a pal of mine who was with TM in another section, told the regional guy about me and I met the guy at the show and he said he would hook me up.

Nothing happened for a while, and then, out of the blue, I get to go to Northern Kentucky, and they send me to a golf store and tell me to get whatever I wanted.

So, I did.

They sent me a great set of clubs (minus the HORRIBLE superquad driver), and never ever officially put me on the staff.

So, it turned out that the regional guy got canned and no one knew anything about me.

So I took my 3.5 million hits a month and went down the road.

I wanted to get on the PING staff, but got a much better deal with Cleveland.

Og course it was ONLY because I knew the rep.

Maybe Cleveland's national office will figure out who they got for a regular staff deal.

And, then again, maybe not.

Great clubs though.

Super irons, nice wedges, hybrids, a hot 3=woods and a an awesome driver.

I'll talk more about my set, my Cool Clubs experience and what's new at Cleveland soon.

I carry Mizuno irons, but have the Hi-Bore XLS Driver and 3-wood. I'm a big Cleveland golf fan right now as they have it all right now. Quality GI irons, quality player CB irons, and some great blades. The Hi-Bore XLS I think is excellent and the Launcher woods are very good. The Hi-Bore XLS hybrids...superb. Want a putter? Try their Cleveland Classic line or go with Never Compromise line. They also have the Srixon Z-Star, which is a solid ball. And let's not forget their wedges. If I didn't hit my Vokey SW so well, I'd probably get another Cleveland LW.

3JACK

Wish I'd known the mb irons they came out with last year were truly limited edition. Sweet looking set, but if you don't have one by now you aint gonna get one! Unless you have some jingle and/or pull!

Status
Not open for further replies.