Help on this,please

Status
Not open for further replies.

joep

New
I`ve been playing golf for almosrt 20yrs. started at 60. With bad lessons all these years I manage to play to an 11 and now at 78.. 16-18 handicap..Comming over the top all these years with a big chicken wing.. Finally had lessons with mike and brian and still couldnt understand what they told me . Last lesson with both mike and brian on trackman brian told me I was fine at the top and showed me what I had to do to stop the chicken wing and told, find a way. Kevin helped me also. Before I go any further with my problem what I liked about theses 3 guys is they didnt treat me like an old guy but like any student they would help... OK hers my problem at the end of last season after my lesson and listening to most of you guys I started pulling down on the handle toward the ball and found it hard to do, so I shortened my grip were I had 3 inches sticking out and it was pointing at the ball were I then pulled and i started to hit the ball high and straight like I never did..With no chicken wing and a finish which I never had..
I started playing better and shooting low 80`s from 90`s. Now my problem is, it is harder with the longer cubs having trouble squaring the face. But the season ended and I`m swinging in the house all winter and had a chance to go out today. At the range hitting irons great but stiil trouble with woods. I did find out something though. If I started my clubhead sooner on the downswing it semed to work better. Now my question to all that can help me is, am I on the right track with the longer shafts or is there another way I should do it. Hope I can soon get a video of me. Thanks for anyone that can help me.....joep

Last edited:
OK hers my problem at the end of last season after my lesson and listening to most of you guys I started pulling down on the handle toward the ball and found it hard to do, so I shortened my grip were I had 3 inches sticking out and it was pointing at the ball were I then pulled and i started to hit the ball high and straight like I never did..

Don't pull down toward the ball as the first move of the hands and handle. Especially with the longer clubs, hands and handle go away from the target first making the clubhead around more.

^ well said.

I will add that it is much tougher to maintain perfect balance as the clubs get longer. You are working with a longer tool that people have a tendency to want to over swing with too. Stay balanced! Do not allow the club to make you wobble at any time...Congrats on the progress!!! Have fun getting better.

hp12c

New
Ok Joep, Grab the shortest club in ur bag, if ur right handed hold the club in ur left hand and make small swings with just the left hand on the club. Contact may be sporadic at first or for a awhile.
If left handed use right hand. Reason for doing well glad u asked.
We have a dominant side and a non dominant side.
Usually the non dominant side is a little weaker and a little harder to coordinate movements, try writting with your non dominant side and see what it looks like. Now think about a the golf motion,
this exercise will not make the non dominant side equal to the other side but it will get stronger and help in ur overal motion.
When doing the exercise try to keep a little bend in the elbow dont keep it ramrod straight and stiff.
If you look at how your arms hang down naturally they are not ramrod straight.
If contact is really bad start by just putting the club behind the ball a few inches and scrape the club on the ground to contact the ball and keep it up untill you can get the club farther away from the ball and strike the ball and soon you will be able to make a waist high backswing and strike the ball.
How do I know this, cause I had a similar issue and it helped me a ton.

joep

New
hp12c, thanks , I painted for 60 yrs and my right side (arm)is 5 times stronger than my left, I try what you said. Mike told me or showed me when to release the club and brian basically said find a way. Which I think I did.

spko... I dont try to go to the ball I pull towards my left hip(I try)

magic... your right I do lose my balance with the longer clubs

Thanks for helping me guys ..

Erik_K

New
Not trying to be mean, but the only thing we can glean from your post is that you struggle with swinging longer clubs. You did mention pulling on the handle out towards the ball and we all know that is not to be recommended.

I think you'd have post video of face on and DTL for any meaningful advice. Trying to describe a problem with no pictures is going to get you nowhere fast, in my opinion.

joep

New
Erik I did say that the 3 inches of the handle pointed at the ball but when I pull its towards my left hip I did mention I will get a video to put on the site. Till then looking for opinions..

Joe, ya, don't go at the left hip for the first move either. That's going to be hard to see on video anyway. Especially with the long clubs, the swing has to feel around more, so the first move with the hands and handle should be away from the target and away from the body before going down and around.

hp12c

New
hp12c, thanks , I painted for 60 yrs and my right side (arm)is 5 times stronger than my left, I try what you said. Mike told me or showed me when to release the club and brian basically said find a way. Which I think I did.

spko... I dont try to go to the ball I pull towards my left hip(I try)

magic... your right I do lose my balance with the longer clubs

Thanks for helping me guys ..

Youre welcome joep. From your post I think youre around 80yrs young? If so youre about my dads age and he also loses his balance with longer clubs when a tries to really go after the ball. We have been been working on slowing the transition from BS to DS and hes striking the ball better which means longer and straighter, less slicing, especially with the driver. My dad has a tendency to pick up the club on the BS without really coiling, when he coils around the right leg gets he gets a better movement, instead of the jerky unwind of the shoulders which leads to a big banana ball, fore right!. I just love to watch him hit his 3wood wen he gets a good motion and lays the club head on that little ball and he poses as we watch the ball go down the fairway,priceless.

joep

New
I finally found a 3 wood I can get off the ground. I crush it (for me)and finally can get a chance for birdies on the par5`s. I hit it about 190. I`m very lucky at 78 to be as flexible as I am I stay in shape, withbowling and golfing alot. Thanks for your help. This is one sport you can play till your 90 and we have guys thats stil can play a decent game well into their 80`s.....

Status
Not open for further replies.