Help. Totally lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

New
First time at the range today for a long while, and hit nothing but tops and skanks, through the bag, with the exception of a couple drives that went further than usual, but low on the face and pulled a lot. I have my first (and probably last) round of the summer next week and don't want to waste it (or embarrass myself) so any ideas where to start trying to figure this out? Couldn't even hit pitch shots.

And Art, if you're reading, I did try bbkib. I figure that is how the drives went so far. Think the problem is more fundamental.

Erik_K

New
When I am really struggling I go back to basics. Find the chipping green and simplify things. Weight left, ball near middle of stance, little pivot action through the ball. Dead hands. Focus on crisp contact. Then I usually go to the range and with the same feel in mind hit low bump and run type shots. Just use a lower lofted club and a bit more MPH (or effort).

Golf is not kind to infrequent players, and it gets worse as you age. Seems to me that it's pie in the sky to try and find the magic technique in the week before your last round of the summer. Good luck!

Sounds like moving too forward in the downswing. Try keeping your weight back or better yet centered throughout your swing.

leon

KISS applies here, I think.

When I've been in your situation, everything feels crap. All I can suggest is to bear down on fundamentals like grip, alignment, balance and rhythm - and to hit as many balls as you can until some sort of pattern, preferably airborne, emerges. I think Erik's right to focus on shorter shots, though I'd tend to go for half wedges rather than chipping, until you get your eye in. I think that after a long layoff muscles are tight and co-ordination tends to be weak - so it's a while before you can even find your swing, never mind know what to do with it.

Good luck!

art

New
First time at the range today for a long while, and hit nothing but tops and skanks, through the bag, with the exception of a couple drives that went further than usual, but low on the face and pulled a lot. I have my first (and probably last) round of the summer next week and don't want to waste it (or embarrass myself) so any ideas where to start trying to figure this out? Couldn't even hit pitch shots.

And Art, if you're reading, I did try bbkib. I figure that is how the drives went so far. Think the problem is more fundamental.

Dear Leon,

Thanks for trying BBKIB.For your remaining golf this season, and considering how little, and infrequently you have been playing, I have 2 suggestions that IMO, will make things enjoyable for you.

As I just posted in a response to puttmaster on BBKIB, there is a STRONG relationship between TEMPO/RHYTHM and dynamic balance.

So here is suggestion (1) Take 5-10 BACK AND FORTH HORIZONTAL practice swings before a session, NOTING how much your lower body wants to SWAY. Also note the TEMPO as you ramp up your energy from say 50 % to 100% of your playing energy.

Now (2) just STOP SWAYING, repeat the tempo, and of course, continue to set up BBKIB, as you have been doing.

Finally, don't forget to collect your bets.

Sincerely,
art

leon

New
Golf is not kind to infrequent players, and it gets worse as you age. Seems to me that it's pie in the sky to try and find the magic technique in the week before your last round of the summer. Good luck!

Well I'm certainly feeling an old 36 lately. I don't believe in magic but I'd settle just for getting it airborne consistently.

When I am really struggling I go back to basics.

KISS applies here, I think

I think you're right chaps. Having thought about it some more, the fact I couldn't even hit short shots suggests to me there must be a setup problem somewhere. if I can't figure anything else out, I might just try bunting it round.

So here is suggestion (1) Take 5-10 BACK AND FORTH HORIZONTAL practice swings before a session, NOTING how much your lower body wants to SWAY. Also note the TEMPO as you ramp up your energy from say 50 % to 100% of your playing energy.

Now (2) just STOP SWAYING, repeat the tempo, and of course, continue to set up BBKIB, as you have been doing.

Thanks Art. If I win anything, I'll buy you a virtual beer :)

Well, ok, this is an emergency situation, I have no vid, no clubhead delivery numbers, but you're topping and shanking. OK, you're hitting low on the face and heelward......low, heel.

So, I'd rather see fat and on the toe. Without thinking about anything mechanical, just using your natural hand-eye coordination, what would you do to hit the ball high on the toe? Put a tee in the ground inside and right of the ball. If the ball is a compass, put the tee 1/2" southeast of the ball. Now hit the ball and tee but focus more on the tee. You must not miss the tee. What is that feel?

That "feel" has to be better than what you are doing now.

This concludes my emergency, half-@ ssed, instruction for the day.

leon

New
Thanks again all, I'm feeling the love!

Well, ok, this is an emergency situation, I have no vid, no clubhead delivery numbers, but you're topping and shanking. OK, you're hitting low on the face and heelward......low, heel.

So, I'd rather see fat and on the toe. Without thinking about anything mechanical, just using your natural hand-eye coordination, what would you do to hit the ball high on the toe? Put a tee in the ground inside and right of the ball. If the ball is a compass, put the tee 1/2" southeast of the ball. Now hit the ball and tee but focus more on the tee. You must not miss the tee. What is that feel?

That "feel" has to be better than what you are doing now.

This concludes my emergency, half-@ ssed, instruction for the day.

Makes sense. Try and do the opposite of my current crap and I might get back somewhere near playable. Bet it's less half assed than what I'm doing now.

Take the club to the top and don't lift your head in the process.

Interesting, although I've been struggling with this for 20+ years so not sure I'm going to fix it before Monday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.